Steam juicer question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
Are you supposed to dilute the juice with water from a steam juicer before making it into wine, or do you just use the juice only as is?

Are you supposed to dilute the juice with water from a steam juicer before making it into wine, or do you just use the juice only as is?

You can do either. I've only used my juicer for Eldedrberry and making a Strawberry f-pac so far. I used mine, extracted the juice then added the necessary amount of water for the quantity of wine I was making.

There are many on here who use steam juicers on a regular basis, I'm sure they will chime in shortly.

I have never added water, and have had mixed results. Some wines came out perfect, and others almost had too much of a hard fruity taste, if that makes any sense. I'm thinking maybe I should have watered it down somewhat.

With the elderberry, I went with roughly 4-5 lbs of fruit per gallon. From 10 lbs of berries I steamed about 1 gallon of juice. For a 5 or 6 gallon batch I started with 2 1/2 - 3 gallons of juice and added water from there. You could also get away with adding grape concentrate or other fruit concentrate if you didn't want to add as much water. I know Welches makes a variety of froxen concentrate. Just make sure you use the 100% fruit not the juice cocktails.

I know Tom uses his juicer for alot of different fruits. Hopefully he'll chime in here soon.

What would you do if you were making the same wine without using the juicer?

If a recipe calls for (e.g.) 5-lbs of apples and enough water to make-up to a gallon, I typically will juice the 5-lbs of apples and then add water to get to 1 gallon.

The more fruit/Juice the more flavor and body. That being said I also have had mixed results using just the steamed juice. I like adding 4-4 1/2 gal of "juice" for 6 gal.
Trick is add water to 6 gallon mark
Use WineCalc to determine how much sugar to bring the gravity up to 1.085.
Hint: take a gallon of "must" and heat that and add sugar to this and dissolve.
Always ck TA

Latest posts

Back