Steam-juiced Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
Anybody ever made strawberry wine from steam-juiced strawberries? If so, how did it turn out?

I've made blueberry wine from steam-juiced blueberries, and it turned out great. I was wondering if strawberries take well to steam-juicing as well.

Thanks,

Chopper

Funny you should ask. Yesterday I open my 1st bottle of Strawberry/Kiwi. Even my wife liked it. Yes I steamed both the Strawberry and Kiwi. I have 4+gallons of Strawberry juice I have not turned into wine yet.

I peeled the Kiwi and took the crown off the strawberry. Then I FROZE all for 2-3 days. Then I added it to the Steamr Juicer.

I used my steamer for strawberry juice and do the same thing Tepe does, just take off the top, freeze, then steam juice. Easy and the juice is really good. I used some of the extra in Tepe's Ice Wine Cake recipe and the family loved it!
Much too early to see how the mead turned out.
vc

I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway......

Why do you freeze the berries first?

I followed Applemans recipe to make my blackberry and froze the berries as directed.... is it only to get the fruit to release the juice easier?

Fly*guy said:
I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway......

Why do you freeze the berries first?

I followed Applemans recipe to make my blackberry and froze the berries as directed.... is it only to get the fruit to release the juice easier?
Yea it breaks down the cellular walls of the fruit so you get more juice.

I'd read elsewhere that you don't have to remove the tops, just clean the berries. Have you ever tried that? I think it was in a canning forum they said that and I was wondering if maybe you could get away with that in just juicing but not when you're using the juice for wine.

I would cut off the top and slice if they are really large. The crown can give the wine a bitter taste

Fly*guy said:
do you freeze all berries to make wine?
If I use a Steam Juicer or not I freeze all fruit before fermenting. Kinda part of making fresh fruit wines.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back