Steam juiced elderberries-How to store for a week?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKsmith

Junior
Reaction score
Sincecurrently both of my primaries are being used to ferment my muscadines, I am faced with the dilemma of storing 4 gal of steamed elderberry juice for a week or two. I now have freezer space to refreeze the juice but am unsure whether I should go ahead and add k-meta now or when thawed. The containers that the juice went intowere sterilised and the juice of course was sterlized by the steam process. Should I just refreeze as is or go ahead and add the k-meta first? Thanks!

If the top of your containers was open to the atmosphere then they are not sterile anymore. Get another primary bucket, they couldnt hardly be any cheaper. Why risk your juice? Crackedcork

I'd get another bucket! What 'containers' did the juice go into? If you used canning jars and the lids sealed (mine do from the near boiling hot juice, I drain right into canning jars and top with sterilized seals/lids right away), they should be fine out on the shelf for a few days while you gather another bucket for a primary.

Thanks guys. I ended upadding the k-meta afterall and freezing the juice. In a few days I'll start it thawing and it should be ready to start as soon as my muscadine is finished w/primary.

Well, my latest Winemaker magazine somehowis missing!!! Alas and Alack!!

I have a Strawberry wine going per instructions in mag. Started on June 12 and is a 1 gallon batch. I believe racking at 30 days was the first time and then another 30 days to rack againand stabilize. And then bulk age for a year. IS this correct? Would someone please look in their magazine and advise if I am mistaken.

Thanx for your assistance.

rrawhide

Latest posts

Back