Stawberry wine doest start fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larlad

Junior
Reaction score
I started a batch of strawberry wine this afternoon, 5 gallons and I added the yeast and nothing started fermenting. I have never had this problem before, I waited a couple of hours and decided that maybe the yeast wasnt any good so I added another pkg . It boubled a few times and looks now like it bit the bullet also. What gives?? I am using the Recipe from E.C. Kraus and followed it . It called for Champagne yeast which I used Red Start Pasteur Champagne yeast . Will it eventually start, or should I try a Lalvin k1-v1116 that I have. ?? gads 5 gals just sitting there........started it at 2pm--it 8:53 now and no action>>>I am going down the tubes me think, all that back breaking work picking the berries in the hot sun also................:slp

Have you taken SG readings?

Don't go off the bubbles. Use your SG readings to validate fermentation.

Winemaker is right, use your hydrometer. Can you post what all you have done? Sometimes a must will be slow to start and then after a couple of days it goes full force.

Did you sulphite your wine prior to adding yeast? If so, how long did you wait from the time you added suphites to adding the yeast?

I used an E.C. Krause recipe this week and mine didn't start until the 4th day. My SG was 1.200 after exactly following the recipe which I found out was way too high. I added enough water to get the SG down to 1.100 and it took off. May or may not be your problem - just a thought.

Yep, you were right , I got up this morning and it was going full force, in fact the towel was rounded up like raising homemade bread. My begin sg was 1.092. The only problem I see is I may have added a couple of pints too much water to begin with as the ferment pail is to full. Good thing I had it in a big tub or some stuff may be on the floor later. I was wonder happens because I added another pkg of yeast when it didnt start yesterday when I thought it might have been a bad pkg of yeast. I should have listened to my wife she said I wasnt patient enough !! The Sg is at 1.090 this morning.
Thanks for the input-- I wanted 3 gallons and I hate to monkey around trying to top up the carboy with simple syrup . So I thought I would put this wine into a 3 gallon carboy and two gallon jugs when I rack it. Then I will have enough to top up with twice and maybe have some left over...is this sound or dumb??
My other carboy is almost ready to bottle and 3gal carboy of Wild Blueberry . I had to make a simple syrup to top that one up and it took almost two pints.
Oh well. We are off next week to pick Black Raspberries--anyone got a good recipe for that and instructions?? I will freeze those as I dont have the equipment to start those until at least Sept.

Unless you make a BIG starter it may take a day or 2 to start.

Did you taste that after adding 2 pts of simple sugar?? Seems to me like it might be a tad sweet. Hope not, tho. Good luck with it . Arne.

Did you taste that after adding 2 pts of simple sugar?? Seems to me like it might be a tad sweet. Hope not, tho. Good luck with it . Arne.
Adding sugar at start does not usually make sweet wine, it usually makes STRONG wine as in ABV

I agree as well, bubbling is not the only sign of fermentation. Use your hydrometer and compare it to your OG reading to see if it changes. I am sure it will be fine.

I spent the day in the strawberry field. A friend of mine's Dad grows commercially. I talked to him a lot. Strawberry farmers spray fungicide on the berries to prevent mold. Always wash berries. The fungicide would prevent the yeast from growing. OK this is new info to me. He also said there would be less of a residue as season progressed. Later berries would probably ferment easier.

Back