Starting Temp?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi all, I brought home a 6 gallon bucket of Cab (juice) this morning and have it sitting in my basement where the temp is about 65 degrees. The bucket is still pretty cold yet and sweating from condensation due to the temp diff. I'm guessing it will take a few days to get the juice the same temp as the basement. Is 65 degrees okay to start fermentation or should I bring it up to the main floor where the temp is 75-80? Thanks.

I have never started wine the way you are with that much juice but I've done quite a few kits so far and the temp range they stat is 65-75 to start and continue healthy fermentation process. I have been to many wineries though and asked what temps they ferment at and some ferment at 80-85 degrees like mondavi. I usually keep it around 75 and have never had a problem but mine have dropped below 70 before and it never got stuck so hope this helps! Good luck.

You didn't provide any details -
yeast already in bucket?
fresh juice or processed juice?

You need to determine the temperature range of the yeast and warm the bucket up to that range.
If yeast is already in the bucket, the instructions should tell you the range.
If not, decide which yeast you like and its temperature range.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

As mentioned, fermentation has not started yet. Fresh juice...........no yeast. Gonna pitch Lalvin (Bourgovin RC 212) nothing on the packet regarding temp use range. Thanks

Thanks, I'm not sure the basement ever gets between that temp range........looks like I'm fermenting on the main floor. Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back