Starting SG With Fruit - Grrrrr!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I just started a fruit wine using sliced frozen strawberries and chopped dates. The recipe said to make 5 gallons and to add 13 1/2 lb sugar. I added water to 5 1/2 gallons, including the fruit, and only 9 lb sugar. The initial SG was 1.1 so I increased the water to 6 1/2 gal and it still has an SG of 1.0 not taking into account the sugar in the berries and the dates. The volume of the berries is such that it dominates the total volume in the primary and I feel confident the berries are not as sweet as the water. My point is this, unless the fruit is macerated there is no way to get an accurate SG. Even if you do macerate the fruit the pulp changes the density of the water, thus confounding the measurement. I have had tremendous success with steam-juiced fruit. which eliminates all these issues. This my last attempt at a fruit wine which has not been steam-juiced!

1st I hope the berries were thawed.

2nd Did you add Pectic Enzyme?

3rd how many #'s of Strawberries?

4th I would have heated some H2O and then added the 13 1/2# of sugar to make sure its dissolved to get the 5 1/2 gal

5 did you add yeast yet?

If the sugar is not dissolved it would be hard to get a true gravity reading. Do you have the berries in a bag?

1.0?? is water I thinkyouhave the wrong readingafter you brought the volume to 6 1/2 gal

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Tepe. Boiling water was poured over the berries so, yes, they are thawed. Yes, they are in a straining bag. 25 pounds berries. 2 lb dates. No yeast added, yet. Pectic enzyme will be added tomorrow.

I have made more than 50 wines so I am very familiar with the overall process. I am just expressing my frustration with the difficulty getting an accurate initial SG when using fruit and my frustration in having not steam-juiced the fruit and eliminated this issue entirely.

I make strawberry ea year and use 25#. I would suggest that you ck the gravity again. I think the trick is when they say to bring it it 5 1/2 gal that includes the sugar. You are on your way to making a nice strawberry wine. You minght want to think about adding an f-pac and back sweeten.

Never tried the dates. What do you think they will add?

The steam extracted juices do certainly make it easier to get a good accurate reading from the start. Makes it much easier to adjust the specific gravity with the sugar to the desired amount. You obviously figured it would be a bit high since you started at the nine pounds instead of the 13.5# from the recipe. I don't think there is anything wrong with steam extracting first. Best of luck with this one. I hope it turns out great despite your initial problems.

Thanks, appleman and others for letting me vent. Steam extraction is an awesome way to make fruit wines. It makes setting the initial SG a snap. It dramatically reduces the amount of lees in the primary. And, finally, it produces an excellent wine. I just can't believe I allowed myself to get lazy and not do what I know addresses these issues. I plan to wait until tomorrow and stir the must vigorously. Then I plan to add the pectic enzyme and give it another 24 hours. I will then squeeze the bags, measure the SG and make final adjustments.

By the way, I got these berries (sliced/frozen) at Sam's Club in 5 lb bags for $1.66/lb! I picked for myself 2 years ago and paid about $2.00/lb and then had to wash, cap, freeze then thaw. Won't do that again either.

Smoke, if you pour hot water over the fruit, let it set for 12 hrs or so then give it a good stirring you are going to get a pretty accurate sg reading. Sure, it may not be 100% correct but close enough to make a good wine

I have poured hot water over the fruit and, tomorrow, I plan to add the pectic enzyme and wait another 12-24 hours before I pitch the yeast. Hopefully, by that time, I will have a much better handle on where things stand.

Can you explain you method of steam extraction.

Tepe:

Stem-juicing involves using specialized equipment to bathe the fruit in hot steam which frees the juice from the fruit and captures it in a container. This highly concentrated juice can then be used in various ways, including wine-making. The residual pulp can be discarded or some use it to make jam.

I can the scalding hot juice in sterilized Mason Jars and it will keep for a long time, unrefrigerated, until I am ready to use it.

The juicer I use is a very good stainless steel one made by Mehu-Liisa. Use Google and look it up on the web for a much better explanation than I have provided. I was patient and finally got mine for about $125. I love the thing.

Take a look at: http://www-podunk.com/10litmehstea.html

Sounds interesting but what you saythe steamer isnot cheap so the avereage winemaker can afford / get?

tepe said:
Sounds interesting but what you saythe steamer isnot cheap so the avereage winemaker can afford / get?
They are expensive, but the average winemaker can afford a wine kit so they should be able to afford a steamer if they do a lot of fruit. The steamer makes the process a lot easier and is certainly cheaper than a press would be. The money thing is all relative!

Use Google and EBAY and just start searching the web. There are less expensive models than the Mehu-Liisa that aren't made of steel. I have seen some less than $50 but you must decide what you want in terms of quality and durability. Also, keep in mind that the base of the steamer makes a versatile cooking pot with lid. In addition, the steamer can me used to steam meat, vegetables, etc. for eating.

I previously had some difficulty with bitterness in the blackberry wine I fermented on the entire fruit. The last two batches were made using the juicer and are excellent--no bitterness whatsoever.

Smokegrub, don't shoot down those fresh berries just yet.I noticed aBIG difference between sam's and fresh right from the start. Thatextrawork cleaning really pays for its self in flavor. On the other hand the frozen ones are in season all the time.
smiley20.gif

I have several bottles made with the fresh in the cellar. In a few months I will be able to make a comparison.

When I was much younger we raised and sold strawberries on the farm. The Dole frozen berries were, I think, very high quality. At any rate, time will tell.

Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking of steaming - has anyone steamed mango or papaya? How did it turn out? I have some frozen and need to make some wine and I would much rather steam the fruit.
VPC

I have never used a steamer but it is something I am thinking about - my question is, does the wine lose any body by not fermenting on the whole fruit?

Thanks
Wayne

Hmm Me thinking this would also be a way to make f-pac's.

For those who use it other than price any cons?

Latest posts

Back