Quantcast

Starting off small?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

rdcuff

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings -

I've made home brewed beer in years past, though not recently; I am interested in getting started in home winemaking, just because I've enjoyed the process.

I am interested in starting small -- partly because I'm the only imbiber in our house, nor do we drink much wine when we eat out.

It appears most of the kit wines are designed for > 20 liters, though I've seen folks elsewhere post about using frozen concentrated juice from the supermarket to make small batches.

Are there any good guidelines out there for how to convert recipes -- especially relating to additives -- when one is making 4-12 liter (1-3 gallon) batches from juice concentrates?

Thanks - Richard / Allentown, PA USA

Sacalait

Reaction score
Go to Jack Kellers web site and look under the recipe section. He has one of the best recipe sections I've run across. If the recipe calls for a certain quantity of chemicals for a 5 gal batch just divide by 5 to get the amount per gal. Don't divide the yeast, one pkt is good for up to 5gal.

smurfe

Reaction score
Yup, Muscadine is correct. Jack Keller's site is a must read. You can look into Vintners Harvest fruit bases as well. They make good 3 gallon batches. Here is a link to Jack's site.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Latest posts