Starting my new Wine Yard!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjd

Wine Lover
Reaction score
I love elderberry wine and in my area they are difficult to get. Last year the week before the berries were ripe the Utility Company decided it would be a great time to spray for weeds and destroyed all of the elderberries there.

I decided I must grow my own so today I ordered 12 Adams and 15 Johns form Double A Vinyards. I also ordered 12 Consort black currents.

I have 4.5 acres at my office location that should do nicely for these plants. Hopefully in a couple years I wont have to fight for every berry I can find!

Nice!

I did something similar. 10 each of currants, elderberries, and jostaberries. They are supposed to arrive any time now.

Sounds like a great idea, I did about the same thing this year with elderberries, blackberries and blue berries. I got a soil sample and sent it in for testing for each plot and had to adjust the pH on each plot, something you may want to do. Good luck
Semper Fi

I love elderberry wine and in my area they are difficult to get. Last year the week before the berries were ripe the Utility Company decided it would be a great time to spray for weeds and destroyed all of the elderberries there.

I decided I must grow my own so today I ordered 12 Adams and 15 Johns form Double A Vinyards. I also ordered 12 Consort black currents.

I have 4.5 acres at my office location that should do nicely for these plants. Hopefully in a couple years I wont have to fight for every berry I can find!

Phil, we had an orphan show up in the garden where I have the tall Baccus statue and we decided to let it go and see what happens. Holy smokes by the end of the summer the roots were sending up shoots everywhere in the garden. It took us two years to get rid of it all. It grows just like Sumac. I must of given away at least 25 plants from 15" to 5' tall.

FREEEEEE.....Want more Elderberry bushes. Make yourself a small sandbox (IE: Propagation bed) and take some cuttings (hardwood) from your existing plants / apply rooting hormone and stick'em in a dirt sand mixture and water on occasion. Next year you'll have more plants than you know what to do with. ALSO.... IMHO.... and I got this tip from someone else and find it to be true.....ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS transplant in the spring. :D

Oh and Double A plants.... Can't be beat (no affiliation) :db

Latest posts

Back