starting a small vinyard help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
factor in the sun orientation...aside from soil preparation i would say only the choice of your varieties is as important....then come trellis

factor in whether you will be using a tractor for spraying etc(maybe a lawn tractor w a pull along sprayer(?)) and what that hill would do...a back pack sprayer would be ok for a small amount of vines....

if you are able, i would find someone near you that has vines and is competent...and would let you drop by once per week during the growing season to pick up the rythym (sp?)

Hey all - rrawhide here - just read all your threads on this new vineyard and I am sorry - i just saw it!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, if I can help please let me know. My email address is [email protected].

There is a great resourse for grape vines: www.vintagenurseries.com/. They have lots of info for you re climate and what grows for your area. It depends what you would like to accomplish - what kind of wine you want to make. In a hot dry climate - merlot and syrah do well. But also, Barbera and Sangaviose. Be kinda interesting if you could get something different and make some unusual great wines.

Here is another good resource www.mypersonalvineyard.com/default.asp and if you really want more info www.winebusiness.com/.

please pm me or email me and I'll share whatever I know with you. I do have some extra syrah and merlot and a few petite syrah cuttings I can send you if you want.

advise

rrawhide

thanx for your pm - we will get you covered as soon as i can,

rrawhide

Thanks again for ur help... I will get my soil read and make sure I have everything ready... Question so I need to buy those little covers to wrap them after I plant them?

Hi Louie

Coming your way today - - - -

I do put Blue-x tubes on mine but you can use any kind or none - up to you.

rrawhide

thank you so much ... I just replied to your pm... You answered my question hahhaha. Thank you once again, and I will take pictures of them.

Been cleaning my area little by little. Guess now I will have to start building the trellis for them.

Latest posts

Back