Started to get a headache after a few sips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
Of some strawberry wine I made. I believe it was because of a big dose of kmeta.

I was about to bottle and I poured a cup of wine I had out into the bottling bucket. I added a quarter tsp of kmeta to that. Then, I slowly racket the remaining wine from a carboy to that. I never stirred the wine afterwards.

I had to tilt the bucket to get the last bottle. IT ended up being about 3/4's a bottle so I put it in the refridgerator day before yesterday. I opened it yesterday and was drinking some of it. It only took a few sips and my head began to ache.

Could that be due to a heavy concentration of Kmeta/

I hope all the wine is not like that!:slp

Doh! Probably had extra meta in the bottom of the bucket. Would that have made the other bottles a bit low on sulphite?

Yeah, I guess so. I am not real concerned about the low amoUnt of kmeta. I probably should not have put it in anyhow But I was going to bottle.

Strawberries have a lot of histamine. Many people are allergic to histamines, much more than are allergic to sulfites. The test would be to eat a bunch of strawberries, which i'm sure you've done at some point. I you react from them then you know the answer.
To test for sulfite reaction, eat some dried fruit, like apricots, a handful of dried apricots has approx 5X more sulfites than a glass of wine.
Of course don't do any of it if you think your allergic reaction will be severe enough.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back