Started my first wine. VH Blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brudavis

Reaction score
Well I'm off and running on my first go at making wine. Took everyones advise and started with Vinter's Harvest Blackberry(for my wife). Mixed all ingredients for a 3 gal batch yesterdy and had a starting SG of 1.090. I let sit for about 24 hours. Today I hydrated my yeast(Vinter's Harvet R56) and stirred into my must(temp 70-72). Saw some activity shortly after adding yeast so I hope I did it correctly. I guess now its daily stirring and watching SG until I move to secondary. If anyone has any advice or sees something I did or am doing wrong please let me know.

Bruce :db

Looks like you are doing everything right. Yeast can take a bit to get going. I don't worry till about after a full 24 hrs. Nice choice on type and the VH juice is pretty good.

Just ask any questions ahead of time, so if you have any, they'll be answered (hopefully) in time. Seems like you've got a good handle on it. Just remember to sanitize EVERYTHING!

I just bottled my VH Blackberry yesterday. Back sweetened to 1.01 and it was just perfect for my taste. Hardest part will be to let it age alittle before drinking.

Quick question. The directions say to stir once a day and not to disturb sediment on bottm. Is once a day enough and is it critical that I don't touch the bottom.

Stir it all the way up.... it's all good in the beginning.

Good Luck on the first batch. Better get the second started right away!!

Debbie

Have you seen the recipes for frozen concentrate wine? The combinations are endless. 3 cans of 100% frozen juice is what you start with per gallon of finished wine. It's quick and good!!

Debbie

Couldnt help myself. Its been about 30 hours since I added yeast and it seems to be going just fine. I had to check SG down to 1.080 since adding yeast. Should have asked this sooner but didnt think about it. Is it ok to dump must from tube back into fermenter when done? All equipment is sterilized. One last question. I have read that some keep in fermenter till dry which is what I am going to do. When do I take out the fruit bag and when do I put lid and airlock on? Ok 2 questions.

Thanks
Bruce

Couldnt help myself. Its been about 30 hours since I added yeast and it seems to be going just fine. I had to check SG down to 1.080 since adding yeast. Should have asked this sooner but didnt think about it. Is it ok to dump must from tube back into fermenter when done? All equipment is sterilized. One last question. I have read that some keep in fermenter till dry which is what I am going to do. When do I take out the fruit bag and when do I put lid and airlock on? Ok 2 questions.

Thanks
Bruce

The tube? as in what you tested sg in? If so it'd be a crime not to dump it back in! LOL!
Rack to secondary pull bag airlock all around 1.010. That's not a set number it just the general consensus. You'll hear slight variations, but that is the most often recommendation.
Good Luck!

Thanks closetwine for the great info. I'm sure glad my boss told me about this forum. great people and all very helpful

Thanks closetwine for the great info. I'm sure glad my boss told me about this forum. great people and all very helpful

Hey no problem! That's what we're here for! Great to have you around, I'll probably need your help one day! LOL! :d

Everything sounds like its going good and your getting good advice! If you like this one try the Black Currant. It probably has the best taste out of all the VH wine bases.

My SG is now down to 1.006 in primary. Should I now transfer to carboy with airlock and add campden and let sit till clear? Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right.

Thanks
Bruce

Transfer and airlock. Then let this finish, it's not ready for camden the sg will still drop to below .999 after it's stayed the same for 3 days you can begin to k-meta/campden, sorbate (if backsweetening). Then let sit another week or so sweeten/f-pak (if desired) and then worry about clearing. Big thing is patience... sounds like you're trying to rush it!

Transfer and airlock. Then let this finish, it's not ready for camden the sg will still drop to below .999 after it's stayed the same for 3 days you can begin to k-meta/campden, sorbate (if backsweetening). Then let sit another week or so sweeten/f-pak (if desired) and then worry about clearing. Big thing is patience... sounds like you're trying to rush it!

Ok. I am kinda going off the directions and info I am getting from members. Going by directions I should have put in secondary at 1.040 and added camden/k-meta when around 1.010 - 1.000. I am confussing my self by looking at diections. I would rather go with what you all are telling me being you have dones this and know best.

Thanks Bruce

I recomend racking to secondary at 1.01 or lower. Any sooner and you may get a mess spraying up out of the airlock. Do not add any sulfites (campden or k-meta) until fermentation is complete. You want your yeast to ferment to dry, and the sulfites will stun or maybe even stop them from finishing.

You CAN transfer at 1.040, if you know it won't blow out the top of the airlock. Many recipes say to do that. Vigorous ferments need to wait a bit longer. There are as many ways to make wine as there are people. Once you get a method that works for you.... stick with it.

When the wine is done fermenting... you'll want to add 1 campden per gallon plus sorbate as on it's directions. You will need to rack off the solid lees at the bottom of the jug once they collect. I don't sweeten until after I rack at least once. You'll know it's clear enough when you shine a flashlight through and you don't see any lines of light...it's kind of a bounce back. It's good to start checking and watch it as it progresses... then you'll know when it's done settling. Some wines are done in 3 mos... some in 12 mos... you can rush this process along with fining agents, but I don't do that routinely. Wine needs time to integrate. It's good to taste along the way too... then you'll know what to look for if something isn't quite right.

Most of all..... have fun

it's not "rocket surgery".....

:slp

Debbie

I saw that written once... and it really cracked me up!!

Just don't get your "undies in the woods"

Debbie

Latest posts

Back