Star San

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imnee

Junior
Reaction score
I've been making beer for years and just started making wine kits. I Love it. My wife is missing the Brown Ale but after tasting the first wine kit she is definitely interested. I have used Star San to sanitize my equipment for some time and I'm considering using it in my air locks. I got to reading the Star San label and it kind of scared me (see below). I have never been in contact with Star San full strength but I've had diluted Star San on my hands many times. Are any of you guys using this in air locks? Should I just stick to Vodka or water? Both are in good supply at my house:).

>>If on Skin or Clothing: Take off contaminated clothing. >>Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20
>>minutes. Call Poison Control Center for treatment advice.

Sometimes the liquid in the air locks will be sucked into the wine due to change in barometer. Reading the warning in your post.... don't think I would use it for air locks.

If making wine you should have potassium metabisulfite on hand for adding to your wine. I sanitize everything with this including all carboys, primaries tools, hands, hydrometer, bottles and also use this in my airlocks. Vodka is good also and when the wine is done you can celebrate by doing a shot!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back