stainless tank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I just purchased my first stainless tank (100 liter), I havealwaysmade wine in carboys. My question is, how would I degas in the tank? Would a pump degas while racking? Also is there a video showing the process of making wine using a tank?

George has a link on his Resources page titled "Stainless Steel Tank Instructions". I read it when I first started this obsession, so it really didn't mean much to me at the time. I think I'm still a ways away from stainless.

Jerry is this a floating lid tank? Do you plan on bulk ageing in the tank? I use mine for fermentation then transfer to something I can get a positive seal on.

Jeff

yes Jeff it is, it has the inflatable tube that seals it air tight. I do plan to bulk age in it.

Jerry, make sure they seal up tight! Mine have a tendency not to be as air tight as I like, plus I'm a worry wart.

Jeff

has anyone else experienced a problem with the lid on the stainless tanks not being air tight? My friends that use the tanks never had a problem.

I purchased a rubber gasket for my two tanks. The vinyl sucked! The rubber gasket is like a bike tire. I have had it stay in the green for 2 weeks now with no refill. They are a bit expensive, but well worth it. Heres the link for the 100l tank. Hope it helps.

Side thought. I also picked up a breathable bung to replace the crappy marble airlock. This works a lot better too!!!

I just got my tank ready, is it OK to use Teflon tape on the threads of the valve and plug ?

You definitly want to use teflon tape on all the male threads. Make sure you put it on in the direction you will be screwing the thread. This way the tape tightens as you turn forming a better seal.

Latest posts

Back