Stainless steel fermenter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
It probably is a stupid question but hey, this is the beginners forum :hug

I was looking for a simple solution to get my fermenter to tempature since my room temparature is 64.4 F and I understand this is a little too low.

Looking for a 'brewbelt' in 220V with european outlet I ran into this:
http://bit.ly/1amG8Qp

Anyone uses a stainless steel fermenter with a thermostat?
Or what is the reason besides price everyone uses plastic and glass?

Thanks!

The fermenter shown is more for beer but an be used for wine. 64F is really not a bad temperature, you just have to watch what yeast you use,
Briefly: yeast all have different tolerances Temperature, nutritional requirements, and alcohol tolerances.

I intentionally keep my fermentation room between 60 and 65. unless I am fermenting something with a yeast that has a low temperature tolerance in the upper range. at 64F once fermentation starts I find the must temperature ranges around 68F. Which provides a slower ferment. Since the majority of y wines are meads and fruit wines I like the slower ferment as it seems to retain more of the fruit or honeys natural flavor. I do not up it for grape wine either as I have never seen any detriment in slow fermenting that either.

I do not make rocket fuel, most of my wines are between 11 and 14% alcohol By Volume(ABV)

You may want to consider researching the different yeasts to understand their capabilities, and how they compare with each other in different wine styles. it will be to your benefit whether you decide to go with the fermenter or not...

Thanks, I allready had visions of having to place electric heaters etc. But if 64F is fine, I'll just patiently wait.

Since I'm using a kit I'm depended on the manufacturer what yeast is used.
It is allready bubbling so I guess the process started despite the lower temperture.

Thanks, I allready had visions of having to place electric heaters etc. But if 64F is fine, I'll just patiently wait.

Since I'm using a kit I'm depended on the manufacturer what yeast is used.
It is allready bubbling so I guess the process started despite the lower temperture.

If it is already bubbling then you are off and running and are most likely going to be fine, The fermentation raises the temperature of the must>

Thats what I did after wrapping the fermenter in a blanket, I bought an electric heater that raised the temperature first to 22c and this morning just to 19/20c (68F) at wich I will leave it.
The bubbling really took of after the temperature was raised.

The 'problem' is that these electric things use close to 2Kwh.
I've also found other options like putting the fermenter in a tub with a aquarium heater but I'm not really attracted by this as it will take up more and more space that I'd rather use for other things.
I also learned about the existance of a 'brewerbelt' but don't know how effective it will be used on a plastic container (any experiences?).

I guess I should have started with a white wine as I understand they like low fermenting temperature and waited with red for the summer.

Thanks, I feared the heat would be too high locally and not spread effectively through the plastic.
I'll find me one then, it'll save a lot of electricity...

Latest posts

Back