WineXpert Stags leap district Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wine rack

Here are the ingredients/instructions, glad u all like them.

Presently it is: height 19"x width 28" x depth 13"

I used white pine from local Home Depot hardware store. Take tape measure with you.
Wood used is already cut as 1.5" x 3/4"; used as railing (qty. 24)to hold/separate the bottles and the front facing boards(qty. 8). Legs are 2.5" x 3/4 " (qty. 4 ). Get the straightest boards which are sold as 6 or 8 feet. Each level/row is separated by 3 1/2". Notice each row has a 1.5 x 3/4' split in 2 (see floor) and used on each side up against the legs.
Spacing between bottles is the same width as the legs. Picture shows top row holding sampler bottles only because I laid additional wood strips.

So u need;
Using 1.5" x 3/4"
28 rails (4 of these to split in two for the sides)
8 rails, 4 front & 4 back length is 26 3/4".

Using 2.5" x 3/4"
4 legs at height of 19"

I used wood glue on all contacts, nail gun on the railing and wood screws for the legs.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.
Njoy ! :)

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Javila, I like the rack. Building some racks is on my to-do list.

How is the merlot coming along? I just started this kit over this past weekend. Right now, it is going nuts. Most vigorous fermentation I have seen yet. Although this is only my second kit. I have a WE Cab in bottles also. Trying to keep away from them. Did you bulk age the kit or follow the instructions to the T?

I went ahead and followed instructions to the T ! Yep, there was some serious fermentation going on. I started this kit March 2011, started bulk aging on April 25. ....then on August 5th I split the 6 gallons in 2. Continued bulk aging 3 gallons and botlled 3 gallons. You gave me excuse to open up one of my sampler bottles.......it is progressing , has a slight bite but shows great potential !!! This is a great kit. Njoy ! joe avila

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I love the smell this thing is giving off right now.

How did you handle the bulk aging? I would like to leave mine to age at least six months to a year in the carboy before bottling. I am fairly new to this and I have been trying to read up on the aging of kit wines. Seems like there are a lot of different methods out there that people use. Not sure what is best way to handle this. Did you make any further additions after starting the bulk age or just let it go? Thanks.

I just finished primary on this kit, and it's already quite drinkable complete with yeast and CO2. This will most definitely be a repeat if my taste guessing is right.

Thanks for the update. I love the smell this thing is giving off right now.

How did you handle the bulk aging? I would like to leave mine to age at least six months to a year in the carboy before bottling. I am fairly new to this and I have been trying to read up on the aging of kit wines. Seems like there are a lot of different methods out there that people use. Not sure what is best way to handle this. Did you make any further additions after starting the bulk age or just let it go? Thanks.

If u r going to let yours bulk age for awhile then its not necessary to use the full packets of fining/clearing agents that come with the kit since time and patience will do most of the settling for you. I believe the kit has you use those amounts of chemicals for people that bottle immediatly per the instructions. It's ok to stick to instructions and still let it bulk age for awhile.

Sorry, coming in a little late. I usually make the RJS Winery Serie kits. Most of the W.E. kits seem sweet to me and taste like candy to me.

It's odd that they measure ~0.995 yet seem a bit sweet. However I'm finding that everyone that tries them really likes them. After drinking a glass they don't leave the impression that I'd pass on another glass like truly sweet wines do for me.

I used my vacuum pump to start degassing this one but didn't get any bubbles at all, so I tasted it and this wine could be served at dinner tonight. This kit is on my short list.

What's odd to me is this WE Stags Leap Merlot is closer to a Cab, and my WE Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sav is closer to a Merlot.

This is one of my all time favorite kits. I have made it several times and it always comes out terrific. I even got gold medals for it in competitions! Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up another one!!

Pleae excuse my ignorance on this as this is my second kit.

I am approaching Step 3 - Stabilizing and Clearing. My wine is currently in a glass 6 gallon carboy. After doing some reading around here I now see why my volume of wine is a lot less than the recommended "2 inches below the bung." Which as I understand things is okay up until this point.

My concern is how to proceed. The instructions state that I should not rack the wine before stabilizing and fining...please be sure to stir up all the sediment from the bottom. Are they saying do not rack the wine until the wine is stabilized and cleared, or are they saying do not rack the wine until after you do your vigorous stir and add the additional ingredients. Or could you do your stir, add your ingredients, stir some more and then rack down into smaller vessels and proceed from there.

It then recommends topping up carboy with cool water. Fill airlock, and leave for 8 days to clear at 72-75.

I am trying to avoid having to top up with too much of another wine. I am going to do some more volume testing on my primary bucket before I start my next batch(Australian Petit Verdot) but I think it is okay as my gravity readings were spot on thus far.

Also, how about temperature. I have been using a brew belt to keep things warm but is there a point when I can drop the belt? Perhaps after the clearing and stabilizing is done. My basement is about 60 this time of year.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.:?

I'll take a stab at answering your question...

I believe you need the sediment, which has some of the bentonite you added earlier, to assist in the clarification of the wine. If you racked the wine now and then adding the other ingredients, it may not clear up like the manufacture promises. This is also the step where you degass the wine. So, you'll want to add the metabisulfite/sorbate packs followed by the fining agent they included (not sure which one is included with this kit...but my guess is chitosan). Once you have the wine degassed, then you can top it up to within a couple inches of the bunch and reapply the air lock. You won't actually rack the wine until after the wine has sat for additional 8 days (if you follow the directions specifically). Then you rack it into another carboy for further clearing.

I don't think you have to worry about topping off with 'too much' of a similar wine. I've read that a lot of the 6 gallon carboys you can buy now are actually 6.5 gallons instead of 6 gallons, but you won't be changing the character of the wine you made really that much at all - especially if you just use another Merlot to do the topping. It seems that many people only need a bottle of two for topping off. Much better than diluting it with water. That probably would be noticeable.

I have done it both ways, racking and not racking before stabilizing and haven't had a problem clearing. What I find is I do my additions and whipping in my primary so there is plenty of room for the foaming. Then I will put the wine in a 5 gallon carboy with the balance of wine in smaller bottles. When I'm ready to filter the wine I do it from the 5 gallon and as the wine level goes down I slowly add the wine from the small bottles.
It's funny you are making one of my favorite kits and I just started my Australian Petit Verdot, first time I made this one!!

Funny this thread comes up as my Stags Leap Merlot just rolled in today!!

Thanks for the suggestions southernchemist and Wine-O. I think I will keep it in the primary for the additions and stir and leave for the 8 days. Also, going to top up with some Merlot.

Any thoughts on letting the temperature fall as fermentation should be complete at this point? If I let it get cooler would it just take longer to clear?

Looking forward to this drinking this in a year! ;)

I woulkd keep the temp up until you have this degased and cleared well!

Thanks Wade, I will keep the belt on it through the stabilizing stage. Once I rack after 8 days for clearing I think I could let the temp. drop. Instructions say to leave for 28 days, perhaps at a lower temp. it will be longer.

Not to get ahead of myself but step 4 has a note about the wine having very low levels of sulphite compared to commercial wine. It says if you want to age your wine more than six months, to add extra metabisulphite powder to prevent oxidation. It then explains to top up carboy, add airlock and let sit for 28 days.
When they talk about adding the extra metabisulphite, are they talking about aging in the carboy for six months or aging in bottle. I'm thinking they are talking about the carboy otherwise this would be mentioned under bottling(of course it will age in the bottle for six+ months:i).

Thanks for the replies folks!

Latest posts

Back