WineXpert Stags leap district Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danc

Reaction score
I racked my stags leap merlot into the carboy two weeks ago for bulk aging. I cant wait for it to finish. Has anyone made this before, and how long would you recommend bulk aging. I was thinking of bulk aging for 6 months and then bottle aging for another six.

Never did this but I would say at a minimum 6 months bulk aging. A year would probably be much better. Wait at least a month after bottling due to bottle shock.

Your wine will go thru several changes as it ages in the carboy and in the bottle. I had a Cab. Sauv. that was 2 years in the bottle that was noticably better than at 1 year.

Wines mellow as they age. They will reach peach taste then begin to fall off. All are different and are affected by many factors.

I havent made it but tried a bottle from a friend at 11 months old and it was awesome and I usually dont care for W.E. red kits.

The stags leap is one of my favorites. It is one of the kits i have done twice as the first one went way too fast! 6 months in bulk and then a 6 months in the bottle is exactly how i am doing my second batch. November 6th is going to be 6 months for the second batch.

You will LOVE this wine!!

Digger

do you add sulfites every three months when bulk aging? mine has only been bulk aging for about two weeks now.

wade, what red wine kits do you usually make? what is it about the WE kits that you don't like?

This was my first kit, bottled last January with 0 bulk aging. I enjoy a bottle every three months, and the bottle we opened in October was probably the best bottle of wine I have ever had. Will be starting another one of these shortly.

Sorry, coming in a little late. I usually make the RJS Winery Serie kits. Most of the W.E. kits seem sweet to me and taste like candy to me.

is that about equal in price to the WE estate kits? My local wine shop only carries WE and have been wondering about other brands.

i just had a sample of this from the carboy. it has been aging only four months and it already tastes great to me. I think i'm going to bottle this weekend and set two dozen aside to age a little longer in the bottle. it is hard not to want to rush and drink wines young, i'm hoping patience will come the longer i'm making wine.

Patience will come but what really helps is having enough wine made that you dont need to dip into wines you want to age longer.

i just had a sample of this from the carboy. it has been aging only four months and it already tastes great to me. I think i'm going to bottle this weekend and set two dozen aside to age a little longer in the bottle. it is hard not to want to rush and drink wines young, i'm hoping patience will come the longer i'm making wine.

I've been trying to put away a case from each batch to age for at least a year. Hopefully eventually I'll only be drinking the year-old cases, but not there yet.

I don't know if I like the Stag's Leap or the Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sav the best, they are both really really good wines.

:db Just started my Stag's Leap merlot today. My first kit "winexpert cab/merlot" got bottled this past weekend but I left 3 gallons for bulk aging. It's funny getting excited bout some wine u wont be able to really appreciate till a least bout a year from now. :m Never really been known to exercise patience. But its a good thing to have another hobby ....woodworking. I made 4 wine racks and it felt good to start filling in those voids !!

Last edited:
Here are the wine racks I have made, already gave one away to my buddy who got me started on this wine thingy. :ib These are the first run to be used in the cellar (crawl space) , the next set of racks will be for show inside the house using nicer wood. joe

IMG_0135.jpg

Did you create all 3 of those pictured? If so do you have a materials list for the one in the back? I've always wanted to make a rack like that but don't have anything to use as a template.

Nice racks. I like the design of the two shorter ones although I'd make them taller.

Latest posts

Back