WineXpert Stabilizing ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slingshot

Reaction score
Should I go by stable S.G. readings. Or should I continue to wait till the bubbles stop. I use the " S" type air lock. When I did the riesling the S.G. was at .990 for 5 days in a row but it still bubbled very slow. I went ahead and stabilized it anyway and all seems well. It cleared very nice. I bottled it yesterday and onlytried a small sample butittasted fine . Now I have had an S.G. of .990 with my pinot grigio for 3 days in a row and it still bubbles. When I did a barolo it stopped bubbling completely in only 6 days after racking to the carboy.

When you say bubbles are you referring to bubbles in the airlock? When stabilizing you should determine the fermentation is complete by a stable SG as you did with your Riesling since the dissolved CO2 coming out of solution most likely is the cause of the bubbling.

Yes, I'm refering to the airlock. I thought that since the S.G. is not dropping that it is done fermenting. I've kept the room temp. 66-70. With the heater cycling that as stabile as I can keep it. And I have waited more days than the instructions call for. Ithought since it still needs to be de-gassed itwas just the CO2. Thanks masta. If I get that same reading again tomorrow I'll go ahead and stabilize the pinot.

Sounds like your in good shape to stabilize after you get that gas out.
What did you do to get it so gassy, Is that baked bean wine?
smiley36.gif

Well you know how it is. Once you get into wine making you wonder how many different this can be fermented. I think all that gas is just me
smiley9.gif

Always, always, always trust the hydrometer, not the bubbles in the airlock. There are several factors that will produce bubbles in the airlock after fermentation is complete. Just be sure to calibrate your hydrometer by placing it in plain water. It should give you a reading of 1.000 in plain water.

I got the same reading and stabilized the pinot today. I think I will have to check my hydrometer with water. And my skills at reading it
smiley36.gif
. I place the hydrometer in the wine thief when I test from the secondary, It leans alittle it sticks to the side. When I check it in the primary I just let it float in the bucket. My reading may not be spot on but they are steady when I stabilize.

Latest posts

Back