Stabilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klamb

Junior
Reaction score
Do I always have to stabilize my wine before bottling? If so, what's the procedure? Thanks

I would, I wouldn't want exploding bottles in my basement. Procedure-
Check SG for several days after airlock has become inactive and make
sure that SG is not changing, should be 1.000 or lower and then clarify
if necessary. Wait directed amount of time according to clarifier.
Sweeten wine if necassery by using either sugar, wine conditioner or,
fruit juice.stabilize with Potassium Sorbate(usually 2 1/2 tsps per 5
gal.) Then add 3 Campden tablets or 1/4 tsp. of Potassium
Metabisulfite. Some peolpe do not stabilize like my friend until this
year for he finally had about twenty bottles blow their corks. He now
has a permantly red conrete floor and fruit flies up the ying-yang.
Always add the Campden or pot. metabisulfite when using pot. sorbate.
Good luck.

Wade is right Kathy, you sure don't want any exploding bottles. Myu procedure for stabilazing is a tad different from wadewade in that after I have ensurewd that fermentation has ended,I crush and dissolve 1 campden tablet for each gallon of wine in some of the wine that I draw out of the carboy. I add this back and stir the snot out of it. IF I am going to sweeten the wine before bottling, I will pull another 1/2 cup or so of wine from my carboy, dissolve 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon of wine in the wine I drew out. Add that back to my carboy and stir it well again. I do not use any fining agents on my country wines so I just let it bulk age, racking as necessary until it clears. If I am going to sweeten, I will add my sugar syrup a little at a time to the carboy, let it set a day or so, taste it, add more if necessary and when it is where I want it, I will let it set another couple of days before bottling. If I am not going to sweeten my mine after fermentation ends, I will not add the Sorbate, only the Campden tablets.
MAy not be totally correct but it works for me

I am not as experienced as you Waldo so I am asking, Since you do
not always stabilize as I believe that is what pot. sorbate does, have
you ever had exploding bottles or corks popping from this method
because I would like to eventually go without adding more chems if I
dont have to, but be safe from fireworks going off in my fridge.

Edited by: wadewade

Have never had one pop yet wade. I have always added the sorbate only if I was going to sweeten the winelater. The Sorbate will prevent fermentation from beginning again if more sugar is added. Otherwise I do not believe it is necessary.

klamb,

I agree with Waldo, if you are making a dry wine and you have allowed enough time for the wine to become still (checking for stable SG), you should not have any trouble with bottling without sorbate, but you should add k-meta (campden) for all wine especially if you plan to store if for any length of time.

Some people will sorbate and sweeten wine and bottle right away. I'm a bit nervous with this process. I like to sorbate/k-meta, thensweeten to taste, and then allow a few weeks in the carboy to ensure fermentation does not start again. Just my two cents.

I will probably always have to use sorbate though because my wife and I both like a sweeter wine.

Latest posts

Back