stabilizing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarrco

Junior
Reaction score
Is there something other than metabisulfite that can be used to stabilize my wine? I may be sulfite intolerant. I heard that Vitamin C can be used.

Last edited:
Hi tarrco, and welcome. There is, I believe a mechanical solution to stabilizing wine, ie, a solution that does not involve the addition of any chemicals, Now, I don't know how practical this is - I have not looked into the cost - but if your wine is absolutely bright clear, there are "sterile" filters (about .5 micron) that you can use that will "effectively" remove every yeast cell and so without any yeast cells in the wine there is very little likelihood of fermentation restarting. That said, such filtration may also remove some color and flavor (I cannot speak to that). I know that many commercial wineries use such filters (perhaps filters with even a smaller mesh size) and I believe that they are available for home wine makers (making small batches of wine). But I have no idea how reliable they are or what kinds of problems they can cause (For example, how likely are they to clog under normal circumstances and how much work is involved in enabling the wine to flow through such fine filters? )

Meta-bisulfite is not for stabilizing wine, although when combined with sorbate will assist in stabilizing. Meta-bisulfite is for protection against oxidation and for protection against microbes.

Sulfite intolerance is very rare.

Vitamin C has antioxidant properties but it does little to protect against microbes. That being said, yes, you could probably get by with ascorbic acid if your wine is very very clear and you are not back sweetening it.

A true test for sulfite intolerance would be whether or not you can handle eating dried fruits. They have many times the concentration of sulfites that wine does. If you are fine with eating dates, apricots, etc. then it probably isn't the sulfites bothering you.

Thanks Greg problem is I never eat dried fruits. Also I have a rash problem from using topical steroids and the wine may be making it flare up. Otherwise I'm sure the sulfites would not bother me.

tarrco...just so you know...There are sulfites in ALL wines. They are a by-product of fermentation. Obviously, there will be less sulphites in the wine if you do not add sulphites. If you are currently drinking commercial wines then you can probably add sulphites to your homemade wines safely (just don't go over-board with the additions).

STeve

Ascorbic acid is rather harsh to the pallet and will affect your wine's PH. I would definitely NOT use this to stabilize.

Instead, I would recommend that you ferment dry, age for 6 months, cold stabilize, then age for another 6 months or more.

I age my wines for 18 to 24 months and found that I never need stabilization

Ascorbic acid is rather harsh to the pallet and will affect your wine's PH. I would definitely NOT use this to stabilize.

Instead, I would recommend that you ferment dry, age for 6 months, cold stabilize, then age for another 6 months or more.

I age my wines for 18 to 24 months and found that I never need stabilization
John...do you add and K-meta?

Steve

Can anyone help me? I screwed up added so2 to my musk instead of tartaric acid. 4oz to 40 gal of musk.. Stopped the Fermantation. Can this be saved or is it trashed.... Help

Latest posts

Back