Stabilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
Most instructions I have read emphasize monitoring S/G and taste in secondary fermentation. The implication suggests stabilizing when a desirable level has been reached. However discussions with thems of far greater knowledge than me say to allow maximim fermentation then back-sweetening to desired taste... Would this be a technical matter or simply a means to more accurately control the outcome?:a1

You may get several variations on this answer, but to me the best answer is "It depends". Sweetness is largely a function of sugar content and the longer the wine ferments, the less sugar is left so the less sweet or drier the wine will be. However, yeast's consumption of sugar also increases alcohol content. Thus, ending fermentation before all the sugar is consumed will make the wine somewhat sweeter but also with lower alcohol content. Thus, wine makers often back-sweeten to obtain the proper balance of sweetness and alcohol.

Having said that, however, within limits, it's fine to end fermentation a little early to make a wine (perhaps a Sauvignon Blanc) somewhat less dry.

an active fermentation can be very difficult if not impossible to stop with the equipment readily accessible to the home winemaker. Allowing the wine to go dry stops the fermentation process for us. Stabilizing the wine with K-Meta and K-Sorbate greatly reduces the risk of re fermentation when back sweetening.

Another risk of having a fermentation get stuck or not finish to dry (inadvertently or on purpose), is that the alcohol in wine is what keeps it shelf stable without refrigeration. At a minimum, any wine that won't be refrigerated at all times should be at least 9% alcohol or it can spoil in the bottle.

Now I get it!!! Not only the proper balance for taste, but the underlying function of the alcohol in stability. Thanks muchly!!

Back