Stabilised ...now temp?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamy

Reaction score
I have now stabilised my first ever wine kit and added the potassium sorbate and fining agent. Now six days to bottling.

My question is ....how important is it to keep at exactly 22 c for this time. The kit instructions don't mention anything and as I have been using a submersible heater I would like to start using it on a second batch. it is now sat in a centrally heated office.

I have now stabilised my first ever wine kit and added the potassium sorbate and fining agent. Now six days to bottling.

My question is ....how important is it to keep at exactly 22 c for this time. The kit instructions don't mention anything and as I have been using a submersible heater I would like to start using it on a second batch. it is now sat in a centrally heated office.

I have had my wine sitting in 60 degree temps while clearing with no problems. That said, I allow it to clear for 3 weeks, the rack again and allow it to bulk age for another 4-5 months during which time it still drops a bit more sediment.

If you bottle in exactly 6 days as per your intructions, you may be dissappointed with the results. The wine needs time to settle. At the very least if you are set on 6 days, I would definately filter it.

I've learned from this message board that the instructions are suggestions and to be patient. So in order to be patient with one wine, I start making more!!

Wine will clear faster and more thoroughly at the higher temperature. Many times you can get away with the lower temp, but sometimes a particular batch of wine can get really stubborn. So, try it at the lower temperature. If it doesn't clear in 2 or 3 weeks, raise the temperature some.

If I were you, I would not get in such a big a hurry to bottle. If you try to bottle that quickly, you will likely end up with some sediment in your bottles. In a couple of months, your most likely will end up with more sediment. Rack that off, then bottle.

Latest posts

Back