SPRING FEVER

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally a couple nice days. Yesterday it hit 49 deg with a little sun after a cool start of about 5 deg. The snow did a little melting, and it felt good. Today was supposed to be a high of 37 with a little snow. We had a few flurries this AM, but then the sun came out and it hit 50 deg today
smiley4.gif
!
The snow melted some more and is now down to about 18-24 inches.

Since it wasn't all that hot yesterday and not a ton of sun, I figured I needed a plant pick-me-up. I went down to my brothers greenhouses and helped them plant for about four hours. We did a thousand or so hanging baskets then moved onto ivys and other assorted potted plants. I worked on geraniums(4 inch pots) and did up a thousand or so. It was nice to work with plants for a while and see a few blossoms and buds. I would do it more, but the humidity in the houses raises havoc with my asthma.

I'm hoping spring keeps creeping in here. I would like to get out soon to prune.

Sounds like a really fun day....

That would surely get rid of the winter blaas....It must smell like spring in the greenhouse.....aahhh...can hardly wait....

That reminds me....I went to my greenhouse yesterday and it was flooded...I better go out there tomorrow and put all the stuff up on the benches.

The snow is melting fast here too...kind of muddy in places....but still plenty of snow banks.

Last weekend was the first good snowmobiling weekend we had around here...and it's over now...That was a short season.

Going to be planting the pepper, eggplant and Hollyhock seeds in a week or so...then the fun begins....love watching the seedlings grow...almost as much fun as making wine.....Ummm...maybe a toss-up on which is more fun.Edited by: Northern Winos

Nice and warm here to @ 54*. I worked on my cabinet outside with all
the routing and sanding that needed to be done. I got the shell all
assembled. Now I just have to cut my shelves to size and build the
raised panel doors.

It was nice here etoday also I went out and picked aboutt 2 quarts of Dandiline flowers. 76 here today

Beautiful here as well...was 54* yesterday and 45* today...that's NICE...for around here.

Have never seen the snow go so fast, stayed at 40* all night and the change in the yard was remarkable....Most of the snow melt water is running off due to the deeply frozen soil from cold spells wihtout snow insulation.

Went for a walk-about today, looking at the fruit trees, shrubs, pond filling quickly with run off....sat in the sun...I am not one to sit for long...got out the nippers and cleaned off a bed of shrubs....

Why do the bunnies trim the good things and leave the shrubs that need trimming alone???? Hear many owls 'hooting' during the night...hope they are taking down the rabbit population a bit...had a pair of them doing the 'bunny-dance' right before our eyes the other morning at breakfast...[one is no longer 'with us']. Haven't checked out the grapes yet....wonder how they have made out with so many rabbits around.

Meanwhile...a wonderful 'flower show' indoors...Love the Amaryllis.....

flowershow.jpg

Those a very pretty NW.......

With a view like that indoors, I don't think I'd ever have to go out doors

Those are opening nicely. The red is plain, but a very beautiful striking red. They really add a splash of color inside don't they. I'm hoping in a few more days I will be able to get out in the open without struggling through the snow up past the knees. It's melted about 10-12 inches in places, so I guess there is hope yet!
smiley1.gif

We might get snow or rain tomorrow...but the chances are down from 60% to 20%...the story of our lives....We need moisture...but spring is young...

Actually these above normal temps are making us think we are in another zone....much more winter left for us this far north...just need patience and something else to do for awhile.....wish I'd have trimmed more bushes today...maybe tomorrow....

Beautiful Flowers NW.....and we have had some nice weather here with temps in themid 60's and sunny but looks like some snow this weekend!
smiley21.gif

75 degrees yesterday here in Dayton, OH, but this morning was in the 40s and raining
smiley11.gif
. Typical Ohio weather.

After 2 days of cleaning out flower beds I am stiff and sore...today it is snowing....That's typical March weather for here in Minnesota...

NW,
I noticed the snow coming by your area. Right now its about 33 with a light rain, but expected to stop raining and drop to 29 tonight. Old man winter is trying his best to stay around as long as he can!

Oh Boy, we have dual weather warnings. There are flood warnings out with the local rivers flooding the towns they run through from all the melting snow, ice jams and rain we have had. Now there is a winter snow storm warning out for tonight and tomorrow for 12-20 inches of snow. It's also supposed to get colder with highs in the 20's for the next week.

Gotta love spring!(I would if it would come and stay a while)
smiley19.gif

Got to love it.....we are for-casted to get 3-6 inches of snow today and then heavy rain overnight and tomorrow morning with flooding.
smiley21.gif

Hope the rain stops early tomorrow since I have to cook lots of squirrels on the grill and deep fry a turkey injected with Valley Brew Hot Sauce!!!
smiley32.gif

We got 6" of snow before it turned to sleet and we got anothe 2" of that and its still going strong! It was 65* 2 days ago
smiley19.gif

Edited by: wade

Was a smirky 72 here today, trees are leafing out, grass is growing, flowers are budding, im catching fish so as NW would say, "Life is good" Edited by: Waldo

Waldo as I prepare to head out into the dark cold morning-temp 15 degreees- to begin plowing the 12 inches of snow we have so far(6 more expected), thinking of you will keep me going. As I try to wipe the frozen mess off my face and glasses, you will give me strength. I just keep uttering the words, "Life is good".

Latest posts

Back