Splitting a 16L Kit in 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
Could one take a 16L kit and divide the concentrate in 2, (8L), refrigerate the remaining juice for say 2 weeks and then start another 1/2 batch?

I agree with appleman, however, you will need two packets of yeast, one to add to each fermentation.

True. Unless the fermentation on the first batch wasn't quite complete yet. Then just transferring a small amount into the new batch should, in theory, get the new batch going. However, since you wouldn't be using a starter, it would take a little longer to get going.

Interesting thought here. If you used 2 different yeasts you could play around a bit more with the final product since different yeasts provide different characteristics.

Yes you can do this if you have bulk stock chemicals to do the batch. What I would do is mix the entire 6 gallon batch up and then split it so you have an even mixture. Refrigerate the saved liquid till you want to ferment would be best. You could split it into 6 one gallon batches or any combination you want. I keep oak chips, sorbate, k-meat on hand all the time. If you have these on hand, play away.

So you think mixing the concentrate first then dividing? I do have a 3 gallon carboy that will fit in my garage refer. How long would the mix keep once divided?

It will not keep once divided and mixed. You ferment both at the same time, but just use different treatments on each. You also need double the additive packets, if you are going to use them. 1 pack of superkleer would be used for each 3 gallon batch. Don't try to split pre-measured stuff.

You should have no problem with it two weeks in the fridge if topped up and airtight. I do this often when I juice fruits. Also as said above, don't try to split up the chemical packets or yeast packet.

Scott,

Are you gong to use some of your frozen grape skins on this kit?
When we get some more fresh grapes this fall, I am definitely going to save the grape skins. Seems to me that adding skins is all one might need to make some of the non-premium kits really shine, especially on the higher end of the non-premium kits.

This fall I'll divide mine into packets, then vacuum seal and freeze 'em. Also need to do some homework on how to properly sanitize them (sulfites?). I don't have a food vacuum sealer, but have wanted an excuse to buy one for awhile now.

No.. I have a couple ideas I am working on. The first was do 1/2 of a kit without skins, then the other 1/2 with, then compare the 2. Then I got a call last week from a friend in Denver that wanted to produce 15 bottles of Cab, did not want to do a whole kit. Would start 1/2 of the kitthen in a couple of weeks I would start the second half. Believe me there is a reason to my madness. Working on a small business idea with this theory.
As to the grape skins, if you would like 5-10 lbs of Cab or Shiraz let me know. I basically just used some large zip lock bags Woody gave me and put them in the freezer. I don't believe you have to Sulfite them. My question would be what about the yeast that would still be present. Would this fight with the new yeast. Have done 2 kits with skins so far and no issues

I might take you up on the skins.

Good question about the existing yeast. Bet some others have had experience with this. I haven't done fresh or frozen grapes yet, as you have, but with them, didn't you have to deal with the fact that there was wild yeast already present before fermentation began? K'meta is used to neutralize it, I believe. Seems one could do something similar for these frozen grape skins.

We need some good, experienced advice on this. Anyone?

Yeast are like the Highlander. There can only be one! Seriously. yeast colonies have what is known as a kill factor. Depending on how strong the kill factor is, is how likely they are to dominate the must. If you introduce another strain in the mix, they stop eating and compete/fight with each other for dominance. EC-1118, K1V-1116, Premiere Cuvee and Pasteur Champagne all have excellent kill factors and will certainly kill off other strains.

Just be careful if you are going to mix them.

Dean,
So, couldn't you use some K'meta on the grape skins in some water for a short time before adding them to the must?

Sorry, No, k-meta will not kill the yeast, unless you place it in such a high concentrate, that they would not be good for wine anymore. Freezing doesn't kill them either, it just puts them to sleep.

Hm-m-m-m

Then how could a body get rid of the yeast in the skins?

How about high heat?

I always do a yeast starter for several hours before pitching it.
Maybe just overwhelming the yeast in the skins with the massive
population of yeast in the starter. Could even wait until yeast is
really going well and foaming in the fermentor before adding the skins.

Scott, do you remember what yeast you used for the fresh grapes? Might just have to use the same yeast.

vscottcolorado said:
Red Star Pasteur Red Yeast

That will work! At least it is more for reds.
I wonder if there is a chart for the yeast kill factor that shows which wins over which other...

EC-1118, K1V-1116, Premiere Cuvee and Pasteur Champagne will all win over Pasteur Red. That's the same strain as RC212. It's a good strain for reds, but it does need a proper amount of nutrient or it will make H2S for you.

So if I am putting together a kitEC-1118, and the skins were fermented with red star, there should not be any issues?

Latest posts

Back