Splenda?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Splenda is sucralose that has been cut with Maltodextrin, and I would be concerned that the Maltodextrin would possibly cause a re-ferment. Sucralose is supposed to be very stable at many PH levels and temperatures, so I would not be that worried about it breaking down like other artificial sweeteners would, but still think it would be best used in a bottle by bottle or by-the-glass application.

I agree with the by the glass. Artificial sweeteners cause tummy problems for most people, and most of us can taste the off flavor. Why ruin the flavor of something you worked so hard on?

Just wondering. I'm looking at making some wine for a friend that is Calorie Counting, who also like sweet wine. If I ferment dry then use Splenda instead of sugar, it would save a lot of Calories.

Just wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks all!

It will actually save very few calories, since the alcohol will still be in there, which is the majority of the caloric intake. At most, because splenda is a sugar/sweetener mix, you will save about 20 calories per glass, so 100 calories down from 120 calories.

That's not a lot of savings for the worry of re-fermentation.

i used a splenda brown sugar in aug of this year. no refermentation yet. be careful though, its twice as sweet as real sugar, and my friends who arent used to diet pop can taste the diference as someone mentioned. however to diet pop drinkers used to sacarine, equal, and the like, there is no aftertase. try a little first so you dont detroy a bunch of wine.

Latest posts

Back