Have anyone used dried elderberry or rose hip powder?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merfenter

Junior
Reaction score
I have gotten some new ingredients and just got the idea to ask if anyone have used that already?
I bought the dried elderberry for color and the ground rose hip for tannines :)

Oh gosh - I carried a pager at one time. It was never good when it went off.😂

@Merfenter I like dried elderberries! As I recall a dedicated wine needs 4ish oz. to a gallon and I've also added 2+ oz to other wines like blackberry and wild grape. Never tried it just for color but I'm sure it would be phenominal! If you're using them just for color I would be careful with the quantity - it might dominate over subtler ingredients.

The rose hip seeds have a ridiculous amount of tannins. Just the skins, which I'm assuming makes up the powder? I honestly don't know. I'm sure you'll get beneficial compounds from the hips (it is an herbal tea after all) but for flavor you have to approach 16 oz of dried for a gallon.

Have fun!

Thank you Bigdavek! I love the short response time on this forum!! and I appreciate your reply, thx! very valuable info for a semi-newbie like me..

I hope I fulfil the give/take quote
😅

Thank you Bigdavek! I love the short response time on this forum!! and I appreciate your reply, thx! very valuable info for a semi-newbie like me..

I hope I fulfil the give/take quote
😅
You're welcome!
I think most of us are "semi-newbies" here. I know I am. There's always something to learn. And what a great hobby - learn and drink!😄

Latest posts

Back