SpGr Again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I think I have the basic idea, is this right?
I follow the recipe and add all the ingredents except the sugar and let it set for 24 hours. Take a SpGr reading - (we'll say that is 1.080 = 10.9% alcohol). That is telling me that at the time I put the wine in a bottle it will have a 10.9% alcohol content - right?. After taking that reading I add the yeast and cover with a towel, stir 2 or 3 times a day. When the SpGR reaches 1.020, remove the fruit, this should happen in 3 or 4 days. But, don't transfer to carboy w/airlock until the 7th day. Then don't mess with it until it stops bubbling. When it stops bubbling the SpGr will be 1.000 or less and the alcohol content will be 10.9 or higher. Is the 1.080 the magic number for all wines that I make? Do I add more sugar if it is lower than 1.080 and what do I do if it is too high? --Add water?

Semper Fi

Later Bud

Pretty much correct if it ferments down properly. If the sg is low then add sugar to raise it, if high then you can dilute it with water or juice so as not to water it down to much and lose flavor.

By waiting that long to add the air lock you could be running out of CO2 for a blanket.

I ferment all the way down in a bucket with a loose lid on. This season was the first time I snapped on a lid/with airlock after it reached .998 after stirring to release CO2 only because I couldn't rack it for another 2 days.

In the past if my gravity didn't change from morning to evening I would rack to a carboy. Never had an issue.

If you've had no issues doing it that way then more power to you but I'll continue to put it under an air lock once the S.G. reaches 1.010 as I like a CO2 blanket at that point. Like most coats, it gives me a warm cozy feeling knowing I have a level of protection.

Back