Specific gravity drop rate..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbeerd

Reaction score
Say temperature is constant (well... fairly constant) will SG drop at a fairly predictable rate during primary fermentation?

starting at 1.074 and after 3 days dropped to 1.042, would it be safe to approximate that in another 3 days i should see a reading of 1.010 or so?

anyone ever keep a hydrometer in the primary for the entire time?

A quick answer is, most likely this would the case. The temperature of the batch will actually change as the fermentation increases (day 2) since it is exothermic. As it slows (day4-5) the temperature will decrease. This variable can't be control nor should you even try. The room temperature you do have some control over and this is stated in the instructions as to the range.
Never done a controledtest and recorded results of temp and SG but every batch can be different due to the type and quality of the ingredients. My best advice is to follow the instructions and as you gain experience the timing of when you should test for target SG will be easier to know ahead of time.

Generally the s.g. will drop very fast once the active phase of the fermentation starts. Once the s.g get down to around 1.040-1.050, the fermentation will slow down.

I have a 6 gallon carboy of Barbera with a SG of 1.002. It's in the third racking and about five months time.I believe the wine is finished working and ready for bottling. It has been at 1.002 for months. Any way to tell if it"s ok to bottle?

Jerry

If you have added k-meta and k-sorbate as part of the process, it shouldn't ferment any more. If you added them you may have done so too soon and prevented it from finishing. Some wines just never go totally dry. It will just be slightly off dry.

I just added the k-meta and sorbate two days ago. So I take it, everything is fine. Thanks appleman.

Latest posts

Back