Sparkolloid vs Super Klear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
Since I currently have both on hand, I am making a side by side comparison of not only their clearing effects, but also their impact on the wine's color, flavor, and feel.

I have two batches of Dragon Blood going (in primary) on which I will be testing these additives. These two batches were made using the standard DB recipe, with brew belts for quick fermentation and temp regulation, and Montrachet yeast (because I had two packets on hand).

As soon as they are dry, I will stabilize and add the clearing agents. We will then evaluate their effects on the wines' clarity---with pictures! When they are finished, I will give my take on their other characteristics as well.

Stay tuned!:ft

My experience has been that Super Kleer was faster to clear with less fallout over time after racking off the lees. Anxious to see your results.

as with all things wine, theres 10 ways to do any..
I have found that the below is the fastest way to clear, regasrdless of what the instructions state on the superkleer package.

Two - Part Liquid Fining

Used to clear wine and beer. This two-part liquid fining, contains Kieselsol #1 and Chitosan #2, originated by Wine Kitz. It is absolutely the most remarkable fining product on the market today. It has been known to clear most wines in as little as 24 hours to a brilliant finish. The first component in this two-stage clarification process is Kieselsol. Kieselsol is gelatine derived from natural sources, which moves around in your wine and attaches itself to the suspended particles. Chitosan, a natural product, is the second component of this two-stage clarification process. It is a naturally charged polysaccharide derived from chitin, extracted from the outer shells of ocean crustaceans. After the Kiesesol has been left to do its job, the Chitosan comes in and pulls all the particles that the Kiesesol has adhered down to the bottom. The best method of useing the clarifier in the seconday, open packet #1, Kieselsol, and add into secondary and stir vigoursly for 2 - 3 minutes. Leave settle for at least 15 minutes to give it the time it needs to attach itself to all the suspended particles. After the Kiesesol has been left to do its job, add the Chitosan, packet #2 and stir gently 1 minute. The Chitosan comes in and pulls all the particles that the Kiesesol has adhered to down to the bottom and settles to a nice firm sediment that is easy to rack off. Best to let the wine settle for about 3 - 4 days before racking.

I have used both and find them both to clear(when used on DB) approx. at the same rate(within a day or two of each other). The biggest thing I noticed was how SuperKleer compacted the lees better than Sparkloid. Sparkloid always seems to leave some "whispy" lees floating around toward the bottom and on the sides. I have not tasted the SuperKleer wine yet to offer any taste opinions.

i started out using sparkoloid...long time ago...i never could taste any diffrence in wine finned with one are the other.
but as you said...those fine wispy smokey lees...i think comes back even after its cleared...and bottled, even when we think its clear it isnt...

Sparkolloid is known for being very gentle on wines. It is also very cheap per application. I bought a one pound bag for about $10 more than two years ago, and I'm still trying to use it all up. You can get a bag now (at Midwest Supplies, for example) for about $12. We're talking maybe 10 to 15 cents per batch.

Midwest Supply (again, for example) sells Super Klear KC Finings for $2.50 per application!

As far as cost goes, Sparkolloid wins round one! Super Klear is about 20x more expensive!

if you find you like super kleer better, you can buy in bulk, and the cost is like .50 cents for the same amount you may 2.50 for.

True, James. I guess it wasn't fair to compair bulk Sparkolloid to single dose Super Kleer. Now, if I can just remember to spell it right: Kleer!

Cost recap: If you buy Super-Kleer in bulk---a one liter bottle of LQ Chitosan at Midwest Supplies is $14. That's 33.8oz at one ounce per dose---about 40 cents per dose. One liter of Kieselsol is $19 (I'm not even considering shipping at this time), which comes to about 14 cents per dose; for a grand total of 54 cents per dose. Now, I'm not sure how much a tablespoon of Sparkolloid weighs, but it's not much---the stuff is so light and fluffy. A quick Google search brought up about 3g, so we'll go with that. So, with 453.6g per pound (at $12 a pound), we're looking at about 8 cents per dose for Sparkolloid.

As cheap as...
Sparkolloid = 8 cents
Super Kleer = 54 cents

That makes Super Kleer about 7x more expensive than Sparkolloid. That sounds better!

I know they will both clear the wine, and fairly quickly. What I'm really interested in is the flavor and color. Having two identicle batches to compare will be helpful.

Last edited:
I have both Sparkoloid and Kieselsol & Chitosan in 1 liter bottles (Kieselsol $21, Chitosan $16). Super Klear KC is just a pre-package of Kieselsol and Chitosan (that is what the "KC" stands for). Sparkoloid is my "go to" for tough cases. Here are some updated pictures of my adventures with my WE California Chardonnay. I used what came with the kit and when that did not do any good, I added Sparkoloid. That was two days ago.

100_0608.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Rocky! Those look nice. I made a tropical fruit wine (started in August) that took two months to clear with Super Kleer. The lees were very compact, needless to say. Information suggests that Sparkolloid helps wth pectin haze, while Super Kleer does not.

We've got some time to speculate before my wines complete fermentation and get to be dosed. I think this part of the process (discussion) is just as helpful as the end results! :h

ever seen it work this fast?

This picture was taken seconds after I added the chitosan (45 min after adding the kieselsol) ... amazing immediate flocculation! i've used the combo before but never with this kind of immediate reaction!

(any reason to be concerned??)

IMG_2952.jpg

Wow, Sue! That is interesting! I've never seen the like. I guess it's not a problem as long as it all falls to the bottom.

The biggest thing I noticed was how SuperKleer compacted the lees better than Sparkloid. Sparkloid always seems to leave some "whispy" lees floating around toward the bottom and on the sides.

I have noticed the same thing. The Sparkloid works fast and clears well but leaves a fluffy layer on the bottom that is agitated very easily.

I got the two batches of DB out of primary and into their carboys last night. I stabilized, degassed ( a lot of gas this time!), and added the clearing agents. I simmered 1 tbsp of Sparkolloid for twenty minutes and stirred the hot mixture into the one on the right. I added Keisilsol to the other and sirred gently...waited twenty minutes (while the sparkolloid simmered) and then added the Chitosan ( and stirred again).

The first pic was right after adding the agents at 6:30pm last night...

IMG_0718.jpg

The second pic (below) is twelve hours later (this morning). The Sparkolloid has some catching up to do...

IMG_0720.jpg

hummmm.....thats why i quit using sparkoloid, and your lees will be very compact after about a week.

I am sure most here are like me, the cost difference is not an issue as it is so little per bottle.

My big concern is the compacting of the lees. I will use Super Kleer from now on.

Thanks to all for the info.

I'm going to let them both sit for a week for comparison purposes. I'm pretty sure the Super Kleer will go clear first. But I'm still holding out for the taste test. In the end, that's the decider for me. If the difference is zero or negligible, then I'll be getting me some bulk kiesilsol and chitosan very soon. The Super Kleer started clearing within minutes of adding the chitosan. It may be 7x more expensive, but 54 cents per batch (1.8 cents per bottle) is still a minimal cost.

This picture was taken seconds after I added the chitosan (45 min after adding the kieselsol) ... amazing immediate flocculation! i've used the combo before but never with this kind of immediate reaction!

(any reason to be concerned??)

I added to Chitosan to my WE kit last night.
There was Bentonite already there, and I had the same visual as your.
There were little globs floating about, even more so when I degassed it with the pump.
This is my 1st go round with Chitosan, but I also used Sparkalloid on another batch last night.

I dont have results yet, but for me it is easier to stop at my LHBS for Sparkalloid at $2 for 2OZ, than drive 45 minutes for 1 package if SK for $2

Back