Sparkolloid vs Super Klear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used Superkleer on my DB for the first time this weekend.
I know people will tell me that I have been using it all along with my kits, since it comes with the 2 parts, which when packaged together is essentially superkleer.

However I had a package and dropped it in and it was kleer the next day.
So much quicker than Sparkalloid.

So much more packed that Sparkalloid.

I was happy, I was thrilled
I did a snoopy dance!!!!!
:D

I just used Superkleer on my DB for the first time this weekend.
I know people will tell me that I have been using it all along with my kits, since it comes with the 2 parts, which when packaged together is essentially superkleer.

However I had a package and dropped it in and it was kleer the next day.
So much quicker than Sparkalloid.

So much more packed that Sparkalloid.

I was happy, I was thrilled
I did a snoopy dance!!!!!
:D

I tried superkleer for the first time on my skeeter pee the other day. It was crystal clear in 24 hours. I'm thinking its worth the extra cost

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Perhaps I'm naive, but I just use whatever the recipe or base recipe if I'm modifying someone else's recipe calls for.

Generally speaking, I use Sparkolloid, mainly because I'm primarilly toying with DB variants and frozen concentrate juice. It works fine, and I'm 100% pleased. though I have seen some of that "wispy settlement" in a few batches after sitting for a few months.

A few recipes I have used have called for Super Kleer such as Skittles, Blueberry, Candy Cane, and coffee. It totally freaked me out to check on the Skittles and the coffee batches an hour or so later, and seeing those clumps beginning to form and fall.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I just use whatever the recipe or base recipe if I'm modifying someone else's recipe calls for.

Generally speaking, I use Sparkolloid, mainly because I'm primarilly toying with DB variants and frozen concentrate juice. It works fine, and I'm 100% pleased. though I have seen some of that "wispy settlement" in a few batches after sitting for a few months.

A few recipes I have used have called for Super Kleer such as Skittles, Blueberry, Candy Cane, and coffee. It totally freaked me out to check on the Skittles and the coffee batches an hour or so later, and seeing those clumps beginning to form and fall.

I used to use nothing but Sparkalloid, because the LHBS I frequented only sold that.
I was advised, strongly by James in Galveston to give Superkleer a shot and I would never go back.

I did, and I never will.
Superkleer and Sparkalloid are interchangeable in any receipe. They just give slightly different result. That is unless you have a fish allergy in which case you should use one and not the other.

Ok, I'm officially a Super Kleer convert. I have been a hold-out for the manufacturer's instructions on the Super Kleer, and have been unimpressed with the results. I have a gewurstraminer that is still slightly cloudy after three weeks---that's following the instructions on the SK package: stir in kieselsol, wait an hour, stir in chitosan. Bah, I say!

This morning, I racked my triple batch of DB into three carboys. In a "what the heck" moment, I added the Super Kleer just like they intruct in the kits most of use make. Stir in kieselsol for three minutes then immediately add chitosan and stir for three minutes. By the time I started on the last carboy (about ten minutes later), most of the lees had already collected in the first, and I could see it was well on it's way to being clear! Wow!

I'm a Super Kleer man from here on out! Now, to order some in bulk!

I bought a liter jug of each ingredient of superkleer. Now I just need to figure out how much of each to use per 6 gal batch

The typical dose for kieselsol is 1/4 oz for 5-6 gallons. Yes, that liter will treat about 135 six gallon batches, and should last you, like, forever.

Chitosan is used at a dose of 1 oz per 5-6 gallon batch of wine. That's about 33 doses in your liter.

So, you'll need four bottles of kieselsol for each bottle of chitosan. Assuming you are going to make 135 batches within the next few years. :)

Thanks for the dosage info

I think my wife would kill me if I tried making even close to that much wine.

The guy at my LHBS said the stuff doesn't expire. So I won't be buying any fining agents any time soon

The typical dose for kieselsol is 1/4 oz for 5-6 gallons. Yes, that liter will treat about 135 six gallon batches, and should last you, like, forever.

Chitosan is used at a dose of 1 oz per 5-6 gallon batch of wine. That's about 33 doses in your liter.

So, you'll need four bottles of kieselsol for each bottle of chitosan. Assuming you are going to make 135 batches within the next few years. :)

135 batches in a few years could be done! I'm gonna hang my head and shut my mouth as to how many batches I've done in less than a year. Considering most are DB variants I can blame it on you.. Muhahahahaa!!!

Although it does make stable sense financially.
buying 1 ltrs of each

kieselsol (4 x $18.99) + chitosan ($13.99) = $89.95 (divided by 135 batches approx 67 cents)

Super Kleer packets (135 x $2.49) = $336.15 (obviously $2.49 per batch)

At it's base you could save $246 if you use it all.

You still break even if you make at least 36 batches which would be right at the 200 gal mark.

Yes it makes a WHOLE LOT, perhaps finding a local wine making friend to go halvsies would be a good option.

The guy at my LHBS said the stuff doesn't expire. So I won't be buying any fining agents any time soon

Thanks, Calvin. That is also good to know. When my packets are all gone, I'll get some liters.

Latest posts

Back