Sorghum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey @JohnT I've been checking out this site: http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/findrecipe.php the recipes seem decent, but I really haven't done much with them yet.

Also, I did a Gluten Free beer kits a little while back. Included sorghum syrup, orange and lemon peel, and cascade hops. Pretty basic. I would recommend swapping the hops for something a bit less bright, and double the peels for sure.

JS,

Even I know that you do not put syrup on grits. I prefer butter and cheese mix in.. YUM!

The sorghum was purchased by my brother-in-law, a born and bred Georgia boy and a really nice guy. He asked that I convert into something for him like, as he put it, a sorghum wine. After a lot of begging and eye rolling, he made me promise to try. Other than 2 batches of skeeter pee, this is the first thing I made that was not either grape or grain.

To he honest, A little voice was telling me to not divulge this to the forum. I have, after all, the reputation of the resident "wine snob" to think about.. :)

Still, I owe it to the BIL to try and make the best stuff possible. Like I said earlier, sorghum is alien to this poor yankee.

In short.. Hands off the sorghum, it really does not belong to me. :gb:)

Seems like the gluten free beer is the most suggested, but has anybody come up with other "killer" recipies? posting a link or the actual recipe would be most helpful!!!!

JohnT, you are wrong on the grits. The only thing a Southerner puts on grits is pepper and maybe some salt. Anything else is "ruined grits."

If you want "ruined grits," then you can add a lot of stuff. I like them with butter, milk, syrup - many ways, just as you can eat oatmeal in many ways. But they are then "ruined" and not being eaten in the Southern fashion.

I'm not native but 32 years of living in the South and Deep South has taught me some things...

Also, every gluten-free beer I have ever had sucks. And I am gluten sensitive (which is why I started making wine.). I actually make myself hurt when I drink beer, simply because I detest every gluten-free beer I've had so far. It's like you with Welch's wine.

Wine?

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33569&sid=b7cf1ad7c506900948e8fff1b0666dcb

Last edited:
OK,

I found this...

The Ten commandments of grits...

Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.
Thou shalt not eat thy Grits with a spoon unless thy grits are swimming in butter.
Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits, for this is blasphemy.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s Grits.
Thou shalt only use Salt, Butter, Bacon and Cheese as toppings for thy Grits, or thou shall mix thy Grits with thy eggs.
Thou shalt not eat Instant Grits.
Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits , either.

OK,

I found this...

The Ten commandments of grits...

Thou shalt not eat thy Grits with a spoon unless thy grits are swimming in butter.
Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits, for this is blasphemy.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s Grits.
Thou shalt only use Salt, Butter, Bacon and Cheese as toppings for thy Grits, or thou shall mix thy Grits with thy eggs.
Thou shalt not eat Instant Grits.
Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits , either.

Not where I've lived (Virginia, Tennessee and Alabama). Grits and black pepper is it. Salt is acceptable. Anything else is "ruined." I don't care if they are ruined or not, I like them best with sugar, butter and milk. That's cuz I'm a born Yankee, and so I ain't right, bless my heart.

Hey, did you look at that link I put up there for you on the sorghum wine, JohnT? There's some good stuff in there, even some descriptions of taste. You're welcome.

Southern boys use to grow sorghum so revenuers couldn't track their sugar purchases. Throw in a little corn and fruit and make some nasty "beer" and cook it off at around 183F. And btw don't call em' boy.

And...it's called sorghum molasses down south and it's a southern thang'.

Last edited:
Make a pan of biscuits. If you don't you will be missing out. There are plenty of other things to ferment.
One tradition of my youth was bacon, sausage, eggs, and sweet potato biscuits smothered with butter and drug through sorghum syrup. All prepared by my grandmother on Christmas morning. I keep a quart in the pantry.

It's similar to cane syrup which is made from sugar cane. I've made several hundred gallons of cane syrup from planting to bottling. We used to have a "cane grinding" ( syrup making party) every Saturday before Thanksgiving. To me, it's best on biscuits and fresh sausage. My grandfather ate biscuits and syrup at every meal. I don't make it anymore and miss the hard work and good times.

I have to admit, curiosity got the best of me today, while passing through NC we stopped at a country store and I spotted quart jars of Surghum and I had remembered this thread. My hubby started laughing at mebecause I was thinking out loud. Good on biscuits...waffles, pancakes....ect..., he was like yeah right, your gonna ferment it! LOL so now I have 5.5 lbs of it, and 5.5 lbs of some of their good local honey. I'm thinking of blending the two and making a mead. Is there any reason I shouldn't mix the two?

I have to admit, curiosity got the best of me today, while passing through NC we stopped at a country store and I spotted quart jars of Surghum and I had remembered this thread. My hubby started laughing at mebecause I was thinking out loud. Good on biscuits...waffles, pancakes....ect..., he was like yeah right, your gonna ferment it! LOL so now I have 5.5 lbs of it, and 5.5 lbs of some of their good local honey. I'm thinking of blending the two and making a mead. Is there any reason I shouldn't mix the two?

Look at that link I posted for JohnT here first. It really does give you a lot of insights. I agree with Bernard on the braggot. You'd be close.

Look at that link I posted for JohnT here first. It really does give you a lot of insights. I agree with Bernard on the braggot. You'd be close.

Thank you Jim and Bernard!!
Bernard...I had to look up the meaning of braggot... lol that was a new word for me, and a good call on it.
Jim..I took a look at the link you posted, it's a good one!

I think after I open a jar and take a taste, if I still like what I have I'm going to make a strawberry braggot mead of some sort. I also came home with 60 lbs of Strawberries, so it seems logical. I'm thinking I am only going to need 30 lbs for this, and use the other 30 lbs for a dessert wine.

Latest posts

Back