Sorbate clumping & dropping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I added sorbate to 2, 1 gallon jugs of cider.
I followed the package directions of 3/4 tsp per gallon.
The sorbate clumped on top of the wine.
When stirred it did not dissolve, it floated in the wine and later just sank to the bottom in a pile of fluffy goop.

Does this mean my sorbate is bad? Needs to be replaced?

Sorbate should always be added to warm water first and dissolved before mixing into your wine. I am surprised by the amount. Usually it's 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Jack Keller says that potassium sorbate should always be closed tight and used or replaced every six months. If your sorbate was old it won't stabilize your wine. You end up throwing out a lot of sorbate but it's better than using an ineffective additive. If it was fresh sorbate you used, follow Runningwolf's advice and dissolve it first in a bit of water next time.

if you keep it in the freezer you can get a year out of it and date the package

Package of brewcraft indicated 3/4 and made no mention of mixing before.

Package simple indicated to add to wine.

I had never had an issue prior to this.

But duly noted!

Elmer, a lot of times, I will add the sorbate to an empty carboy and rack into it and have never had an issue but if adding to a wine, it does seem to work better with mixing it first then adding.

It can be tough to get it dissolved in wine, sometimes. I agree that it should be dissolved in water first to prevent clumping in wine. I think if the wine is on the cold side that that also makes it hard to dissolve.

We write the date we receive a new batch of sorbate on the bag. Don't use it if it's more than 1 year old.

This is interesting. My bottle of sorbate came from the LHBS with no date on it. I wonder if there's any way to know if it's good - other than adding it and seeing if it works. How does one get comfortable that the sorbate they buy is fresh?

sorbate timeline begins when the sealed package is opened moisture is the problem.

Actually it is not moisture that is the problem. It is oxygen. Sorbic acid is prone to undergo autoxidation in air. UV light is also detrimental to sorbate. Usually these oxidations result in the sorbate turning yellow or brown. If you sorbate is white in color, it is likely still good.

Right or Wrong but everything I add to my must or wine is in liquid form, except the yeast, I sprinkle it on top of the fruit.
Semper Fi

Any additives to my wines/juices are dissolved in 1/3c of said wine/juice which has been warmed in the microwave. Clumpy K-meta even gives up!

Latest posts

Back