WineXpert Someone's knocking at the door......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last thing I want is a 'thin' wine so the answer is the Washington Meritage.

WE's DVD and intro are nice n' all but I don't want something turning out like the Diablo Rojo which has turned out to be the only regret so far.

When one needs to add skins and oak to make something good, I kind of shy-away.

The last thing I want is a 'thin' wine so the answer is the Washington Meritage.

WE's DVD and intro are nice n' all but I don't want something turning out like the Diablo Rojo which has turned out to be the only regret so far.

When one needs to add skins and oak to make something good, I kind of shy-away.

I dont think you can compare the diablo rioja with the wine that started this thread. The washington meritage is a 16L premium kit and the other a value kit with at most 10L. apples to oranges imho

I have several of the stock 1.5L grape packs from Cellar Craft. I will use with this guy.

One more question for you please

what is the shelf life on these grape packs and how should they be stored? the store got them about a month ago and they are just on the shelf and not in a fridge. will these go bad? they are in a thick platic bag but I would not call it vaccum packed. they look ok with nothing growing

thx

Keep them cool. They should last at least a year without any problems. Longer if you refrigerate them or even freeze them. I would not freeze them unless you are going to store them longer than a year. If you do, then place it into a freezer bag as well for some extra protection. This is basically grape jelly or jam.

I dont think you can compare the diablo rioja with the wine that started this thread. The washington meritage is a 16L premium kit and the other a value kit with at most 10L. apples to oranges imho

OK OK wrist slapped - it's in the primary as of today.

Update on this, cracked the first split this weekend. Its now over a year old. It did not turn out thin! Very nice body, bouquet. Nailed the oak nicely by layering some French oak on top of the Hungarian the Vadai produced. No faults what so ever that I could detect. I think this would do very well in a competition it was that good. Not bitter or harsh at all. Tannins are smooth and refined. Its VERY fruit forward right now so wondering how this will change as it heads towards the 2 year time frame. SWMBO loved it! She is not a big red fan but she really, really liked it. I would compare it to the Apothic Red wine. Taste like it has just a hint of residual sugar but it is DRY. I know a lot of people will love this wine!

Huh!

Mike,
I know you manipulated this kit, but still, that's very high praise coming from you. Is there another WE kit in your future?

Funny you should ask.

I am diving in on the Eclipse series of whites as we speak. I pitched the yeast on the Eclipse Yakima Valley Pinot Gris last Friday. Only using the package of V1116 yeast and not the EC1118 that came as well.

Back