WineXpert Someone's knocking at the door......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Somebody ringing a bell......

He claims to be a Limited Release from the Red Mountain AVA in Washington state and brings a blend of Cab Sauv, Petit Verdot and Cab Franc to the party yet he brings no grape pack or grape skins with him and he's expecting me to provide one........

I am just not sure I can trust the guy. He seems a bit bossy and is already trying to push out all the Cellar Craft, and Mosti Mondiale wines out of the cellar......

DSC03194b.jpg

I am going to let him in just this one time. I gave him a verbal warning that no Limited Release should ever be supplied without a grape pack. Luckily for him I just so happen to have one of the last Cellar Craft Syrah grape packs on hand to stuff into his pie hole.

I am going to offer him up to the Vadai wine gods as a break in wine for my 3rd 23L barrel arriving next week.

Don't tell him as I don't want this to go to his head, but he had me at Red Mountain...... :p

You bought a WE!!!

You are going to need that grape pack. As you already know, the barrel should really help, too. In the barrel, check for thinness. If still thin, leave it in one of your near-neutral barrels for as long as it takes.

If W.E. would just get back to supplying grape packs, I think I would buy more of their wines, "again". I know some of their newer special releases have grape packs.

Their wines are pretty good, but they can sure use a nice, big, juicy grape pack.

Here is a copy of the sell sheet for the Meritage, Hmmm I just got an order in and did not get my Meritage????:tz

Washington Meritage

-January-

The Region: The Red Mountain American Viticultural Area (AVA) is Washington's smallest, at approximately 3,600 acres. Grape growing conditions are almost textbook perfect: slope, exposure, weather conditions, good air drainage, large day/night temperature swings, gravelly soil with high calcium carbonate content and high pH, and the nearby Yakima River to moderate temperature extremes-there could hardly be more positive flavor influences to grapes grown here.

The Wine: A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, this wine features great extract, deep color and intense aromatics of dark berry fruit, cassis, peppery spice, cedar and smoke. The seductive nose of this wine foreshadows magnificent texture and flavor, including dark berries, licorice, vanilla
and warm brown spices that glide across the palate. The texture and mouthfeel of the wine offer up silky tannins and a velvety smooth structure.

The Food: Marinated & Grilled Flank Steak with Blue Café De Paris Butter.

Ageing: The complexity and structure of this wine will require three to six months to unwind, and it will continue improving for several years. Due to the ripe tannins it will also benefit from decanting before serving.

Sweetness Code: 0 (dry)

But I did get this in db
South African Sauvignon Blanc-Semillon

-January-

The Region: Known as "Valley of Wine and Roses," South Africa's Robertson Valley has a very hot climate with minimal rainfall-less than a foot per year. Luckily the calcareous red clay loam and clay Karoo soils have excellent water-holding capacity, and the gentle slopes and varied microclimates allow for precision planting to maximize grape quality.

The Wine: Sauvignon Blanc has wild, herbaceous flavors and tart, grapefruit-like character, which show strongly in the young wine, while Semillon has flavors of honeydew melon and sweet honey that take a bit longer to come out. Together the two grapes make a lush, balanced wine with great up-front fruit and a satisfying, rich finish.

The Food: Pan Roasted Digby Bay Scallops, Jewel Yam Purée, White Truffle Oil & Salsa Verdé.

Ageing: The citrus notes of the Sauvignon Blanc make this wine tempting to drink right away and after three months the Semillon will rise up to give a mellower white wine. It will improve for at least a year, giving deeper flavors of melon and honey as it goes.

Sweetness Code: 0 (dry)

Last edited:
Hey cool! My kit has a step-brother across the state line in New Mexico!:b
I haven't yet started my kit. I started another thread here in the WE kit section. I am going out of town next week plus I need to make sure I have a carboy available. I don't have any extras like grape packs or barrels (yet) so it looks like I am going to have to go by the book on this one. I will be watching to see how this kit comes along for you! Even without adding any extra I think it will turn out a winner but I suspect yours will be extra nice. Since it is going into the barrel are you going to add all the oak packs into the primary?

Also, where do you get the 23L barrels?

I may add the American oak in primary but none of the Hungarian oak pack(s) I will let the barrel do its job. I like to layer different oaks which really increases the flavor profile IMO. Best place for small barrels is Vadai. More Wine also sells them as well.

I checked out the Vadai barrels on the More Wine site. That little 20L sure is a cute little fat thing! Seems like that would be a good size so you can top off with the couple of liters from the original batch. Or does the 23L seem to be better and then just top off with a bottle from the store? How long is the wait time from order to delivery? Sorry for all the barel questions. Maybe I should start a thread or just look in the barrel forum. I officially have one on my wish list. :h

I wouldn't recommend going smaller than the 23L. The smaller the barrel, the harder it is to get it to seal properly and 23L is already pushing it to the limit.

The other problem is the surface area to volume ratio is much higher on the smaller barrels than on the larger barrels which means less contact time until you run quite a few batches through it. Yes, you have to top off more with the 23L but sooner or later you will have enough wine around you can top off with your own wine.

Barrels are a fairly serious investment. You have to keep them full at all times with wine so you need to have 3-4 kits lined up before you order and then keep them coming. The micro-oxidation and concentration through evaporation is what is missing when you only make wine in sealed glass carboys.

Ibglowin, thanks for the info! I will have more barrel questions but don't want to overrun your thread with them. Think that would go in the "equipment & sanitizing" section or somewhere else? I really appreciate the info. Super helpful!:spm

This thing had better not turn out thin!

16L kit. Thats the same as a MM Renaissance or CC Showcase to start out with. You don't see too many blends like this for sure in kit wines plus my favorite AVA to boot. :hug

I am going to use the supplied RC-212 yeast plus adding in a nice dose of Booster Rouge as well as the grape pack to boot.

In the barrel, check for thinness. If still thin, leave it in one of your near-neutral barrels for as long as it takes.

I have several of the stock 1.5L grape packs from Cellar Craft. I will use with this guy.

Thx. my LHBS just got some 2.5kg merlot shins in and I was thinking of adding a 1/2 bag to a cru select Italian Chianti Riserva. the kit was on the discount rack so I don't want o spend to much more on it.

Who is making Merlot skins and selling them!
"
i posted this in another thread. you must have missed it. maybe you can find a store down there that can bring them in

My LBS just brought in some grape skin packs to see how they sell. He has them priced at $18 for 2.5kg. i haven't tried them yet and neither has he

the supplier is advintage out of quebec but I cant seem to find any info on the web, here is a description that I did find on a LHBS site

Fior D'uva crushed grape pack is a 2.5Kg, 100% all natural product that can enhance any red wine kits' aromas, body and structure. Produced exclusively for Advintage Distribution, each pack contains whole crushed grapes including the juice, skins, seeds and other solids which will deliver to any wine their specific varietal character. Available styles include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Siraz. Any ordinary red wine could turn into an extraordinary wine with real varietal character, richer body and flavour by adding Fior D'uva crushed grape pack during the maceration process

perhaps this might work for those looking to replace the cellar craft discontinued packs
"

Oh my that Chocolate Hazelnut Port sounds delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankis for the info!

Latest posts

Back