Someone please explain Dragons Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally have all supplies on hand to start my first batch. I am off tomorrow so I will get everything going then. I have the triple berry thawing in a covered bowl that I sanitized beforehand. Does anyone see a problem with letting this sit at room temp overnight? My thought is that this will help get the batch warmed up to fermentation temp much quicker. Thoughts?

it would be better sitting n a little water with some pectin enzyme.
which breaks down the fruit.
follow the recipe....

Batch No. 1 is bottled and a third consumed (lol).
Batch No. 2 just racked from Primary to Secondary.
Batch No. 3 required!

I've been making wine about 2 years and decided to try some about a month ago. I cut back just a little on the lemon juice and followed the recipe on the rest. Mine tastes great. It has just a hint of lemon taste with a "creamy" fruity taste. It's about 10% abv. It'll sneak up on you fast.

I am interested in making a batch of this too, however I have a few questions...

The recipe is for 6 gallons. I only have 6.5 gallon carboys to use. Would I be ok just following the 6 gallon recipe not worrying about the extra head space at the top since it will not be sitting for very long in the carboy or should I just add some extra water to the recipe to get it closer to the top?

Is this bottled in standard wine bottles after completion?

I first have to get a larger primary as my primary is only 5 gallons.

I am interested in making a batch of this too, however I have a few questions...

The recipe is for 6 gallons. I only have 6.5 gallon carboys to use. Would I be ok just following the 6 gallon recipe not worrying about the extra head space at the top since it will not be sitting for very long in the carboy or should I just add some extra water to the recipe to get it closer to the top?

Is this bottled in standard wine bottles after completion?

I first have to get a larger primary as my primary is only 5 gallons.

I would add a little extra fruit and water to make up the difference.

Yes, you can use standard wine bottles or any other type of wine bottle. Some people bottle them in 375ml bottles.

No. You can cut the recipe back to 3 (1/2 of everything recommended)or 4 (2/3 of everything recommended)gallons if that is all you have for a primary.

Good luck and welcome to the club. :)

I would go buy a brute trash can from home depot, there food safe.
then i would add doulbe the fruit,
i would cut back on the lemon, to just 1/2...per recipe...this is just my opinion.....

the tricky part: if you add the fruit then the water, then the sugar you will have lots more then 6.5 gallons.

Yeah, I think I am going to buy one of those brute trash cans at Home Depot which are 10 gallons then I'll be good to go. I'll add some extra fruit and water to fill my 6.5 carboy.

Jame - Are you saying for the six gallon recipe to cut back the lemon to (1) 48 oz bottle?

Thanks for the help!

yes.... cut back the lemon...u have to remember this was daves early recipe, he has changed it somewhat..

What is Dave's updated recipe??
I was searching for it earlier, and only found the old version.

I'm going to get a current recipe up on the site later today. Stand by!

Thank you, James. DB fans assemble at the above thread. We'll discuss our obsession there!

Alright, I get it now! I bottled my first batch of Dragons blood 2 weeks ago. Opened the first bottle tonight. Very nice surprise! My wife who is a red wine snob couldn't stop drinking it and commented that she thought it would be a great wine for summertime and vacation at the beach.

I'm converted and so is my wife. I see a second batch in the works very soon! Thanks Danger Dave!

Did you get a chance to put one together Dave?
I'm looking for gallon recipe that's not to lemony....

Hi there... for what it's worth, I don't like some things too lemony either and if you follow Dave's recipe to a t but use 40oz it will be fine... at least it is to me... the lemon really doesn't have a flavor after the ferment at this amount.

I had some concord grape concentrate/blackberry jam SP and it was pretty bad about a month after bottling. Tried it tonight and it is very good.

Latest posts

Back