SO2 Testing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
Next purchase. Without breaking the bank, what do you recommend for relatively accurate SO2 testing?:mny
Thanks!

morewine has a budget A/O setup that I'm using. It's $99 and you'll prolly want to add another 10ml pipette and some addition solutions.

I've used it a number of times - works fine

The drawbacks are time and cleanup. Worthwhile IMO, but it should be considered.

They have the doc and a video available from their site.

morewine has a budget A/O setup that I'm using. It's $99 and you'll prolly want to add another 10ml pipette and some addition solutions.

I've used it a number of times - works fine

The drawbacks are time and cleanup. Worthwhile IMO, but it should be considered.

They have the doc and a video available from their site.

I second this!

I second Dan's nomination....and because it is so accurate there is rarely if ever a need for taking a test a second time to make sure the first was right..and even less a chance you will be taking three tests and averaging out

easy to use..hands down one of the best things i have added

The thing about the More Wine A/O rig is the cost of the 25% Phosphoric Acid. Not a problem for me as I have other sources.......

But once you run out where do do you get refills? (Robie?) The reorders from More Wine are quite expensive.

The A/O rig works great and is the defacto analysis for wineries.

Accuvin is more accurate than Titrets. That's not saying much however.....

Neither can hold a candle to the A/O rig (industry standard). The Vinemetrica is the new kid on the block. The "ripper titration method" is not known to be all that accurate which is what the Vinemetrica is based on. I am not dissing the Vinemetrica, just saying/repeating what the literature says.

Since I'm pretty much just doing kits at this point is this needed for someone like me?
What about a ph tester? Looks like $300 for both. Hate to spend that much if it's only needed for grapes or juice or fruit wines. (like Wades choc/strawberry port)

Unless it's a business expense? Hmmmm give wine to clients for the holidays :D

SO2 levels are extremely important. Kits or fresh grapes. Too much and all you can smell is Sulfur. Too little and your wine (especially whites) oxidize too fast.......

I think (S02 levels) are one of the most important things to monitor either way.

If there was a cheaper way that worked (accurate) I would be using it.

Ph is pre adjusted when making from kits so that would be a total waste of money! Non kit wine and it becomes important as if these numbers are off then it can either make your wine taste really flat or even worse make your win e a petri dish. Also since S02 levels are directly related to PH numbers both of these tools go hand in hand when veering from kits. Basically, if your doing a kit and want to keep S02 levels in range you can either do a PH test or just call the wine kits range middle and go with that and youll be close enough.

Is the vinmetrica only available from them for $245?

If I was to only get 1 tester right now what should it be? SO2 or PH? If PH should be the first which one? I've seen the hanna and another one for around $90.

Thats easy. SO2.

But they go hand in hand with pH since SO2 levels are based on pH. I think (personally) that my 1st year wines are flawed with too much Sulfite since I was blindly adding it every 90 days even though it didn't actually need it. But without a pH meter you can't determine the amount of Sulfite to protect the wine.

I love my A/O rig. It does take a little bit of learning curve to perfect however.

I googled the vinmetrica and found another wine forum managed to get a group buy on them. I think it was about $50 off. Anyone interested?

Latest posts

Back