SO2 test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAB

Reaction score
Looking for a SO2 test ket. Morewine.com has this
Code:
https://morewinemaking.com/products/sulphite-test-kit.html
to test for SO2 but the product offers a caveat of sorts that reads "...this kit is only accurate to within +/- 30ppm when used to test red wines." +/- 30? Is that accurate enough for a Joe-Schmo first batch of wine guy like me? I'm perfectly willing to purchase the necessary tools to get the job done, but I'm not sure this gets the job done. Please educate me.

Many Thanks,

It is the one significant investment that one needs to decide to make. I decided to purchase a vinemetrica SC-300, but do 150 gallons of high pH wine a year, where careful monitoring of the wine is important. If I was dealing with 3.4-3.6 pH wines, I'd feel comfortable with having a schedule for my adds and not take measurements. Seeing how my wines are pushing 4.0 and using barrels, glass and flextanks, knowing the precise number is important to me.

So far I've been using the Titrets for my whites and like them for that.
Reds are another matter though. Since the test involves watching for a colour change, red wines make it much harder to see that change happen, especially really dark reds.
The local college charges $15 to test wine samples, so I just drop one off there if I need to know for one of my reds. I usually just ballpark it up until bottling, then test it before I bottle.

Vinmetrica's equipment is good, and one day I'll invest in one.

Latest posts

Back