So, what did it cost you

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Total came to 200.00 not including wines. But we tried an all natural, fresh killed bird for the first time that cost us $60.00. I'm a real "foodie" but I just can't justify doing that again. It tasted great but no one at the table thought it was any better than a $15.00 butterball like we've usually had in the past.

Anyone else have better luck with the more expensive birds?

I try to buy "fresh, all-natural, non-enhanced" birds. They aren't organic, but aren't pumped up with a bunch of liquid to keep them moist (and increase the weight). Many will say "may contain up to XX% solution" or something like that. I try to keep that % as close to zero as possible. That way, it doesn't mess with my brine. But I find the organic, free range, blah blah stuff is not anywhere near worth the price - often as much as 400-500% markup.

I do not have any family up here, so it was just four of us. My GF, her daughter, and a buddy of mine that doesn't have any family here either.

Total about $100 in food and about $75 in wines.

Want a natural bird? Get a liscense, grab the shotgun and head for the woods. Probably wind up costing more than the store bought bird, tho.

1 Vignoles, 2 Rieslings, 1 Pinot Noir, 1 Finger Lakes red blend . . . oh, and there was some food in there too.

I'm pretty sure we drank many more $ than we ate. Well worth it.

Back