smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
I posted this on the apple cider post but figured it may get seen here faster.

I made a batch of Apple Cider wine last night.

5 - gallons of apple cider. (no preservatives but pasteurized is ok)
10 lbs of sugar
12 - cinnamon sticks
1tsp wine tannin
4tsp acid blend
2 - teaspoons of yeast nutrient
1 pack of Cote De Blancs

I followed the directions and woke up this morning and it was bubbling away. It now has a very bad smell like a sewer. Normal? Need to fix it fast?

now funny enough i was just gonna post a thread up my self for the same thing mine has been going for around 5 days now and it is stinking dont know if its normal or if i should throw it.

Sewer? Like rotten eggs?

Just trying to better understand the smell..

the smell i got is really strong its that strong i cant get my head in the tub and everytime i take a breath it over powers me. it smells really sweet from a distance. but i used tropical juice and got a 1 gallon batch and i used bakers yeast 6 grams to be more precise

It smells like crap. Literally. I seen some people comment about their wine smelling like sulfur. That would be the closest thing I guess that it smells like other than crap.

I'm surprised because 10 hours ago it smelt like fresh apple cider and cinnamon it was greaaaaat! lol

Did you add any sulfites 24 hours before adding yeast?.. Taking a second look, i dont see it mentioned..

No I just followed the directions for the Apple Cider Wine recipe on here.

Should I have? :?

If the cider was pasteurized, it shouldnt have anything in it.. I was just wondering, sulfites do a pretty good job at keeping most of the 'nasties' at bay while the yeast get on their feet..

I havent done an apple wine just yet, so im not entirely sure on the smells of it - but are you sure its not just the smell of fermentation? I had family members tell me, my peach fermentation smelled like puke, but i thought it smelled wonderful.. It's since dissipated and smells fantastic to all..

My recipe rule of thumb is 1 tsp of nutrient per gallon on fruit wines. I see your recipe only has 2 tsp for 5 gallons. I'd guess your yeast are stressed due to lack of oxygen, lack of nutrient, high fermentation temp or a combination thereof. I would add more nutrient right away and get a wire whisk and beat the snot out of it. Break the surface and introduce some air to the batch. This will allow some of the stink to dissapate and will hopefully make your yeast a little happier.

Thanks for the reply Deezil.

Yes the cider was pasteurized. I also have Niagra, Catawba, and Concord going. All from local vineyard juice. They have smelled great through the whole process so far in my opinion. But this cider smells very very bad. I'm really hoping it is just how it smells during fermentation. But if something went wrong, hopefully it's fixable!

my apple cider smells like beer..but i think its the yeast nutrient...beer wine its all good..did you ferment the cinammon sticks with the cider?

Yes the cinnamon sticks are in the fermenting bucket. I plan on taking them out when i rack into a carboy.

i was just wondering if it was something in the cinammon sticks..that may have contaminated the must.

I added 2 more teaspoons of nutrient and stirred it up good. Checked on it this morning and it isn't smelling quite as bad as it was. I talked to a few people who have made apple wine and they said the smell is very bad at first and it will turn out ok.

Latest posts

Back