Everything But the Kitchen Sink

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadRob

Reaction score
It all started when I found 2 bags of fruit marked down yesterday morning, I saw them and thought HMMM, wine?
100-5458.jpg

100-5459.jpg

100-5460.jpg

I cleaned off the fruit and got started. All of the bad parts of the fruit was discarded. The plums were de-stoned and chopped then warmed on the stove to breakdown. I heated 1 gallon of water and dissolved 4lbs of sugar and dumped that in the bucket while I cleaned, de-cored and chopped the apples. Finally I juiced the limes and oranges.
100-5461.jpg

I also added a cup of raisins, left over pineapple I had in the fridge and 1/2 a large cinnamon stick. This stuff smelled good enough to eat!!
100-5463.jpg

After researching apple wine and reading that it's light on flavor unless you use all juice I decided to add other juice instead of water so I added 1 gallon of pear juice and 1 gallon of persimmon juice from home juiced fruit from the freezer. It's ugly but I'm thinking of adding more cinnamon, cloves and maybe star anise to the secondary and make this an early drinker Christmas wine.
100-5464.jpg

I pitched the yeast a few minutes ago, starting SG is 1.090, PH 3.4.
Here's the recipe
Ingedient Quantity
sugar 4lb
pectic enzyme10 drops
mixed apples 14
plums 10
pineapple 4 slices
raisins 1 cup
cinnamin stick 1/2 stick
water 1 gal to melt sugar
pear juice 1 gal
persimmon juice 1 gal
orange juice 1 cup
lime juice 1 1/2 cups
CT 4 tablets 10 hours after PE
yeast nutes 1/2 tsp
Fermax 1 tsp
tannin 1/2tsp
acid blend 3/4tsp
KI-V1116

It's up to the wine Gods now!!!

Does anyone see something I missed or a screw up?

I make mixed fruit wines a lot.
Constantly have some of this and a little of that and some wow look, left over juice. Hope you wrote it down as it will probably be amazing. Keep us posted on how this ends. (Sounds tragic right)
:b

What was your starting SG? At this point, I would only offer one suggestion - don't add any more herbs. Make a batch of wine with just the herbs, then blend it with your fruit wine when both are done.

Starting SG was 1.090. The only thing added is 1/2 a cinnamon stick. I plan to split this batch and play with half trying to figure out flavors to add. I thought about making a few extracts now and use that to flavor some of it.

Can I use Vodka to make extracts?

I back-sweetened using 1.5 cups of sugar and 2/3rd cup of honey to 3 gallons of wine and used SuperKleer, racked it twice and bottled the wine last night. I had to test it for safety's sake and it's pretty darn good!
I made an extract with cinnamon and vodka, it sat 3 weeks in a mason jar. I added 2 tbs to the batch and that was the perfect amount. It gives a hint of cinnamon and blends well with the honey I used as a sweetener.
This came out really good and clear as can be.
100-5657-1.jpg

100-5658-1.jpg

I back-sweetened using 1.5 cups of sugar and 2/3rd cup of honey to 3 gallons of wine and used SuperKleer, racked it twice and bottled the wine last night. I had to test it for safety's sake and it's pretty darn good!
I made an extract with cinnamon and vodka, it sat 3 weeks in a mason jar. I added 2 tbs to the batch and that was the perfect amount. It gives a hint of cinnamon and blends well with the honey I used as a sweetener.
This came out really good and clear as can be.
100-5657-1.jpg

100-5658-1.jpg

Did you add sorbate prior to back sweetening? I'd hate to see those nice looking bottles of wine explode. It doesn't appear you have it listed in your ingredients.

Back