WineXpert sluggish fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

Reaction score
started my lodi ranch cab about 48 hours ago. temp is at 73 degrees. It has a small foam cap on it but does not look like it is doing much. I just stirred it to see if that will perk it up some but is there something else I can do or should I just let it be and see what happens by tomorrow. Thanks. Ron

go watch a movie and get a nice night sleep...stop worrying about it
smiley16.gif
it is early in the game....

It can take a few days to get ripping but will say that not every wine will foam up like a monster.

Not all wines have the big rip roaring volcanic eruption fermentation. Some just simmer and sizzle away. Follow the directions and check your SG at the prescribed time. Record it and wait until the next step and check it. That will assure that fermentation is cooking along. Remember to that the steps on the kits are averages and sometimes will take longer or take less time. If you are using a bucket you can snap the lid down tight and watch the bubbles flow through the the airlock. If there is active fermentation there will be CO2 emission that will flow out the lock.

PWP, Its cooking along nicely today. Thanks for your concern. I think from now on I will start the yeast in warm water instead of just pitching it. Thanks to wade and Al for easing my concerns.

Wine is difficult to screw up, especially from a kit. I once goofed up and added too much sulfites pre-fermentation. I stirred for several days before fermentation kicked in. You are unlikely to do anything with a kit that will not result in a successful fermentation, even if it is slow to start.

Back