Mosti Mondiale Slow to GO

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
I started MM Old Vines Zin Sat. am. as per directions. As of lunch today I have almost no fermentation. Other kits have been fairly active by this time. With this kit I put the yeast in warm water per instructions so I thought this might get kicked off a little quicker. Temp when I started was OK but basement is on the cool side. I moved fermenter upstairs where it is in mid seventies to see if it would perk.

Never had a problem. Any thoughts?

James

Did you take the temp of the water???? And did the yeast appear to multiply in the water??? if so...then it is not a yeast problem....then I would bet on the environmental temp...Just my thoughts...
smiley17.gif

Northern,

The temp of the must before I pitched the yeast was 70 f. I put the yeast in warm water before adding to the juice- could I have killed the yeast with too warm of water. I did not notice if the yeast multiplied or not. I gave the must a little stir earlier. There is a little action but very little.

James

This is probably just one of those yeasts that works very slow. There
are a few yeasts that just act very different such as Red Star Cotes
Des Blanc. This yeast takes about 3 days to get started and is very
slow acting like you describe.

James said:
Northern,

The temp of the must before I pitched the yeast was 70 f. I put the yeast in warm water before adding to the juice- could I have killed the yeast with too warm of water. I did not notice if the yeast multiplied or not. I gave the must a little stir earlier. There is a little action but very little.

James

I think they was referring to the temp of the water you re-hydrated your yeast in. Was it at 104 F? Too cool or too hot will kill the yeast. Also, was the water you re-hydrated the yeast in chlorine free?

http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-lalvin/lalvinrehyd.html

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Smurfe,

I did not take a reading on the water I rehydrated the yeast in, I just felt it. Also, I used distilled water for everything except the yeast and I used tap water for that; a real brain fart.

If I have killed the yeast, what do I do? Is it possible to just add more? Will the juice go bad soon?

Jim

If the water you rehydrated the yeast in was too hot, you would have killed the yeast...You should have seen the yeast starting to work right away in the cup you rehydrated it in.

I always take the temp of the water in the cup, [try to go for about 105* to 107*] then I sprinkle a few grains of sugar, [like making bread]...add the yeast, cover with Sarn Wrap and wait 10 minutes...Pretty muchfollow the instructions on the label of the yeast, they don't mention sugar...I just like watching the immediate action...then I know for sure the yeast is good....then I stir the cup and pour gently onto the must...do not stir...sometimes within a few hours there is activity.

*****I would pitch another package of yeast if there is no activity today...

These are just my opinions.

I concur and the temperature of the water when re hydrating yeast is very important and a slight variation will not produce good results.

I agree and I should edit my post that cold water will not kill yeast, it will just not multiply and lay dormant. If the water is too hot it will kill the culture. I still do not understand why one manufacturer says dump the yeast on top of the must and one says do not just dump it in and re-hydrate first.I know that just dumping it in works. I have never re-hydrated a yeast for any type of wine I have made. I see my Mosti kit here says rehydrate and DO NOT JUST DUMP IN MUST. Weird

Smurfe

James said:
Also, I used distilled water for everything except the yeast and I used tap water for that; a real brain fart.

Why did you choose distilled water? I've read that distilled water lacks the trace nutrients and when using distilled water for making wine a small amount of yeast nutrient/energizer should be added.

I don't know why it took so long but this morning there seemed to be a little more action in the fermenter and now I'm home from work and it's rocking and rolling.It took 72 hours before any real activity.Yea!

Coaster, my wife actually bought the distilled water by mistake; I have read what you read. However, the MM directions for this kit say "use flouride or chlorine free water(distilled or filtered water is recommended)".

I will use filtered water after I work through this couple of gallons of distilled.

Thanks,

James

If this had not started to ferment, what would you do to try to get it started and what is the "shelf life" of the juice once it is opened?

Jim

If this hadn't started to ferment you could have added some yeast nutrient, another pack of yeast, made a starter solution and other numerous remedies. This wasn't necessary at all yet. 72 hours is only 3 days- which is not unheard of for some yeasts. You mentioned that it was foaming after a day. That meant you had fermentation at that point, the yeast was multiplying and beginning to work. Yeasts are like cars. Some start out slow but can get going just as fast-just takes them a little longer. Others go from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, but run out of gas sooner. All is well in the bucket.
smiley14.gif

If it doesnt start to ferment within a few minutes...seal it up well, and ship it to me. I will properly dispose of it for you!
smiley36.gif

You know, I propably over reacted a bit, but this kit behaved a little different from my others. This was my first Mosti Mondiale kit??? After the formation of "the blob" I was a little shakey.

JW, before I gave up on this kit I was going to drink a big glass of it with my grits every morning!

Wade, what is ROFLMAO?

James

Latest posts

Back