Slow fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
Slowing down fermentation

I am thinking of slowing down fermentation, my thinking is to take my freezer and plug in an temperature regulator and keep the temp at 58 degrees, it is an upright freezer and will hold a 32 gallon Brute can.......what are your thoughts

Last edited:
As long as your yeast can tolerate it and you minimize CO2 loss you should be fine.

With a slow fermentation you have less CO2 being released at a time which could result in a thin blanket protecting your must against oxidation.

You may want to keep a snug lid on in between stirrings.

Good thoughts Steve, I keep going back to the winery that buys our grapes and he ferments at 58 degrees for 5 weeks, I don't think anyone would argue slower fermentation makes a smoother wine

The key here is to check the must temperature regularly, two or three times a day or so, to make sure the must doesn’t get too warm or too cold. If you happen to have a refrigerator that will keep a constant temperature near 50° F, this is an ideal place to keep fermenting juice. Most refriferators don’t get that warm but if you’re lucky, you can find one that’s not too efficient or reduce its efficiency by adding jugs of water. An older refrigerator should work just fine. Be careful that your must doesn't get below 40° F, though, or your yeast will go into hibernation.

This is from Wine Makers Magazine

It is common in the home beer brewing world to use an external temperature controller and repurpose fridges/freezers as fermentation chambers, maintaining temps like 50 degrees for lagers and mid 60s for ales.

Check out the sister site, homebrewtalk, for a wide variety of threads om this topic.

You can also do a swamp cooler. Basically you put your fermentation bucket inside a larger bucket, fill the outside one up with water and frozen pop bottles. Replace the bottles with frozen ones when they melt. This is fairly easy to keep a constant fermentation temp if you can check on it twice a day.

This forum has several threads on the temperature controllers, you just have to do a search. They work great when coupled with an old frig or freezer. Fairly inexpensive to get started.

As was already mentioned, not every yeast is good at cold fermenting. Choose wisely. I like to ferment my chardonnays at cooler temperatures with the D47 yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back