slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llnicely

Reaction score
Some of you were kind enough to answer a question for me about a week ago, so here I am again. I have a pinot grigio that was lowering it's sg in .010 first, then .006 increaments daily, now is lowering at a .002 pace. Am I stuck and should I adjust my temperature or add energizer, or just watch it for awhile longer. Temperature has flucuated by several degrees over the 12 days since I pitched the yeast. The temperature changes were not drastic. Started at 1.109 sg and now reads at 1.022 sg. I also started a lambrusco at the same time and was able to rack it after 8 days. Both were side by side, but the sg lowered smoothly down to 0.998 on the lambrusco. Any advice. Thank you.

In my view, a fermentation is not stuck until the SG stops lowering. I would not treat it fora stuck fermentation until you have the same reading over a few days. The fermentation does seem sluggish.How many days ago did you start the fermentation? How did your temperature fluctuate? I would ensure the temperature remained on the higher side of the range the yeast likes (Lavlin and Red Starwebsites set forth these parameters),add yeast nutrient and energizer and vigorously stir the must. What yeast did you use on the wine? If your SG readings were accurate, the alcohol level is not yet high enough to kill wine yeast. If you gave us some more information about your pinot grigio (i.e., kit wine or fresh grapes, acidity and PH, general outlines of your recipe) it might help.

I got this as a juice, no water to add. My understanding was that the ph and acid were set before shipment. I started the fermentation 12 days ago and the temperature changes were due to being in my basement and the weather outside influenced the inside temp. The temperature flucations were just a few degrees. I used Lavin 71B-1122 yeast. Their temperature range is between 65 and 85 and my average has been 71.
Going between 70 and 73. From everthing I see, this should be going ok. I plan to try to make it alittle warmer in hopes of getting it more active. Thanks.

As you get closer to the end it will typically slow down as its running out of sugar to eat and the alcohol is getting higher making it harder for the yeast to do its job before it is completely done. What yeast was used as each one ferments at much different ratios. A red wine will typically ferment faster as it usually has a much more active fermentation. What temp is it at now as the colder the temp the slower the fermentation which is actually a good thing with white wines but if to cold it will get stuck and stop and we dont want that. I would try and maintain a 72-74* for whites.

Everyone is so helpful on this forum. Thanks everyone!
smiley32.gif
I am glad that I'm not getting too excited about how this must is progressing, everyone is reasuring me that this may be within the normal range of what to expect for this must. But I will warm it up abit.
smiley1.gif

If PH and acid were set before shipment, does that mean you don't have any readings? I don't think temperature is a problem. I've cool fermented many white wines and they do proceed slowly. (I used D-47 at 55 degrees F and it took about 3 weeks to make a smooth Sauvignon Blanc). Based on your temperature readings, I would not raise the temperature. The mustmight be nutrient deficient, though grape musts usually are not. You could add some yeast nutrient and energizer and stir the must vigorously. It will not hurt. Or as long as the fermentation continues to proceed, even if slowly, just be patient. Try making a mead, and you will learn patience in primary fermentation. Edited by: dfwwino

Latest posts

Back