skin problem with sanitizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have introduced a friend to wine making which is great for many reasons including having someone help with heavy lifting
smiley36.gif
. I am really enjoying teaching her the steps and process and we are about to bottle the first batch that she has helped my with from start to fininsh. I have had her practice what I always have done which is to spray down my hands with sanitizer beofre touching anything... She has developed a rash on her hands that she cannot contribute to anything else. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any suggestion other than give her jobs that do not require sanitizer or to wear gloves or something. Thank you
Cindy
BTW we have 10 - 12 inches of snowin NW new Jersey I was not ready for this

a friend of mine had this....and he was the one that did most of the cleaning w the k meta...it could also be the acid in the wine grape....i know that when we are picking grapes we eat a lot of them and the next day your tongue feels the effect of the acid

one other item could be the combined effects of the above and simple abraison from repeated cleaning

var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

Latex gloves are available at most hardware stores in packs of 50 and 100 at reasonable prices. They are not sterile, but can be donned and then sprayed with sanitizer. That's what I would do if I had that problem.
< ="http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js" =text/>

try {
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-447247-1");

pageTracker._setDomainName("none");
pageTracker._setAllowLinker(true);
pageTracker._setAllowHash(false);
pageTracker._trackPageview();

} catch(err) {}

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I did not have power for 3 days. I like the using the alcohol sanitizer idea if that will really kill everything we need to. Her rashcleared up in a few days but she does not want to spraythe sanitizer solutionon her hands again.

I see the new forum software ate my response.
smiley17.gif
You can get bulk quantities of latex gloves at the hone center in the paint department cheap. She can don the gloves and spray the sanitizer on them, and when she is done working with the wine just strip them off and toss them. I use them for all kinds of work around the house. Most recently cleaning up after my boxer had "tummy problems."
smiley18.gif

Peter I did see your response through the computer stuff and will consider it. I work for a hospital system so getting gloves is not a problem. Just a little worried that they would be awkward to work with. We are bottling this weekend so we will see how it goes after 60 bottles. Thansk for your response

Cindyjo, working in a winery I also get rashes and extremely dry hands from the meta/citric solution. I use lots of hand lotion when I'm not working to help with it. I started out wearing gloves when working with the chlorine based foam and they made it worse. The foam would get in the gloves and create a closed environment hurting my hands even more.
To be honest with you I think she is over doing it spraying her hands down. I have never done that. I wash them and thats it. At the most I would maybe just use one of those waterless hand sanitizers. If you're still worried, she could spray her hand with alcohol as suggested above.

Thanks for all the comments. SHe used the waterless hand sanitizer when we bottled last week and had no reaction. I am going to continue to use the spray as it makes me feel more comfortable. We bottled the Outback Shiraz last week and are bottling the Chamblais sometime this weekend. Then we have to figure out what we are starting next. It is very fun to have someone to share the winemaking with. Thanks again

Yes Running Wolf, Im still not so good at that whole uploading picture thing. Especially since I divorced my computer- sort of -expert. I have a few pics I would like to post and will figure it out soon.

I bought one of these Cindy for my wine making and have no more problems with rashes or anything.
Trellchem_BUTYL.jpg

smiley4.gif

You could also try a betadine/iodine sanitizer to wash her hands if she doesn't have iodine allergies....

Latest posts

Back