Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of skeeter pee with a recipe from this forum. Lots of differences from other wine like aerating and waiting days to pitch the yeast (which I don't understand).
Any advice or thoughts?

Just follow the original recipe and you should be fine

yep, follow the directions with the recipe. it's different because lemon is difficult to get to ferment to begin with, and there are preservatives that need to be purged from the juice to get the wine to ferment.
have fun!

The ingredient list includes sulphites. Isn't that like camden tablets? Is it palatable dry or do I Need to back sweeten?

it is designed to be sweetened. I would imagine it would be like sucking on a lemon if some sugar wasn't added

Also without sweetening you don't get much of the lemon flavor, all you taste is the citric acid. You should definitely sweeten it. the two chems that are used for sweetening is Potassium metabisulfite (campden), and Potassium sorbate. the campden is one tablet per gallon and the sorbate is 1/2 tsp per gallon to sweeten.

Mines (mostly) unsweetened. A very tart beverage.

I often mix with water and it's much like a strong lemon water.
My wife adds raspberries and carbonated water.

Back