Skeeter Pee Revisited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question

Got a quick question ... it appears there are two types of "yeast nutrient" for sale .... does it make a difference? For that matter, can anybody tell me how a yeast nutrient stimulates fermenation?

Fermax Yeast Nutrient, 4 oz. powder, contains Di-Ammonium Phosphate, Di-Potassium Phospate, Tastone and Magnesium Sulfate

LD Carlson Yeast Nutrient, 2 oz. powder, contains Urea and Ammonium Phosphate.

I recently started a Pee with LD Carlson nutrient ... but looking online to buy more, found there was two different nutrients.

Probably doesn't make a difference as to which one to use ... but it's curious that two different manufacturers have different formulas.

Maybe folks can post which one they use.

I try to keep Urea out of my pee :slp

They both should be fine. I like to think of more ingredients as more types of food for the yeast. I don't know how true that might be but I have used Fermax and it works great.

This stuff sounds perfect for my most demanding customer, my wife! If I can crank out some great tasting stuff cheaply and quickly, she is very happy! I told her about it and she told me to hurry up and get on it!

I have EC-1118 yeast on hand, and I keep hearing it's a great yeast for this because it's so aggressive, but I also have some K1V-1116 which I had always thought was the most aggressive. Was I mistaken and the 1118 is more aggressive? Any thoughts on this Pee and maybe the K1V? I'm just curious, trying to learn is all.

Whatever you choose, follow the manufactureres direction. My LHBS, didn' have of the normal nutrient I buy. What they had was a Wyeast tyoe for beer, "Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend".

It doesn't list what is in it, but it only calls for 1/2 teaspoon for 5 gallons. I have used it a few tims on wine and it seems to work fine.

The Brewcraft wine nutrient they usually calls for a lot more per gallon. As far as I know, as long as you follow the manufacturers recommendation, any nutrient should work fine.

Don't forget to use enrgizer as well. As Wade pointed out a while ago. One is food, one is vitamins. Both will help ensure a strong, complete fermentation.

Don't forget to use enrgizer as well. As Wade pointed out a while ago. One is food, one is vitamins. Both will help ensure a strong, complete fermentation.
Thanks for the tip about the food and vitamins, I need to pick up some energizer myself then.

I followed VVolf's reverse method for making pee and after a day and a half I had no signs of fermentation using some red star yeast I had. No lemon had been added yet. I started some EC1118 and threw that in the primary. Should I dump this batch before I get any farther and start a new one or will I be able to save this one.

I followed VVolf's reverse method for making pee and after a day and a half I had no signs of fermentation using some red star yeast I had. No lemon had been added yet. I started some EC1118 and threw that in the primary. Should I dump this batch before I get any farther and start a new one or will I be able to save this one.

You might be able to save it. What is your initial S.G.? What is the temperature of the batch right now? How did you start the EC118 before putting it in the batch? So right now you just have water, sugar, nutrient, energizer, and yeast?

You might be able to save it. What is your initial S.G.? What is the temperature of the batch right now? How did you start the EC118 before putting it in the batch? So right now you just have water, sugar, nutrient, energizer, and yeast?

If that's all that's in there and temps are good, I'd say it's a bad batch of yeast...

I think I had a bad batch of yeast. Dumped it and started a new batch sunday afternoon. By Monday morning I had signs of fermentation

1 more question. Since I'm using the reverse method do I need to add any more nutrient or energizer when I start adding the lemon juice?

Thanks
Dave

It won't hurt to add just a pinch more. I do and I always use the starter method.

Added first have of a bottle of lemon juice last night and another half this morning with a pinch of energizer and nutrient. Fermentation is going real good now.

Greetings ...

Hello, I made my first batch of this stuff and it started at 1.070 and went down to .996 in about 5 days ... I used the original recipe and a banana slurry i had going plus added a pack of ec1118 yeast. three days later it was foaming like crazy and below 1.020, I added my last bottle of lemon and the other stuff and today it was around .996. I live in Florida and i kept it in my garage (no a/c) the entire time. Will that affect the final outcome of my pee? It was about 85 degrees today so probably at least that in my garage ....

Just be careful, if it gets too hot in there, you could kill your yeast. I'm not sure what the max temperature is that you should ferment, but mine usually do better in temperatures cooler than that.

Just be careful, if it gets too hot in there, you could kill your yeast. I'm not sure what the max temperature is that you should ferment, but mine usually do better in temperatures cooler than that.

It has to get 105 or over to kill the yeast. Now, I know too warm a ferment can affects taste and smell...

First batch of pee is in the secondary debating sweet cherry or strawberry breeze for the next one

is my pee supposed to have a lemony smell at this point (in the secondary) mine has just a faint smell of lemon. smells more like alcohol

There may not be a real strong smell at this point. Even the taste can be hard to define before you add some sugar back in at the end.

generic

Hi i used the generic brand and mine turned out fantastic. i guess each to there own ... im starting a new batch next week ill use the real lemon this time just to compair. let ya know all about it after ok?

Back