SKEETER PEE PORT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dawg, How much sugar before you stir and degas? Are you saying you bottle immediately? Thanks...................Dizzy
no my SSG is 1.085, i let it run dry, then i put in lemon juice in so i have 1 quart of lemon concentrate per gallon of water, after it clears and degasses i keep a extra carboy 6&1/2 everything i bottle goes into this carboy, i pour a fifth of 190 proof pure grain alcohol, aka PGA,, EVERCLEAR,, GEM CLEAR then i put a half teaspoon potassium metabisulfite, then rack my skeeter pee in to that 6&1/2 gallon carboy, then i measure my SG, I keep adding sugar & stirring with cordless drill till i reach a FSG of 1.040, i've never went by weight with sugar, i always use my hydrometer,,,,,just bottled 10 cases today of skeeter pee port, the reason i have a 6&1/2 carboy is every time i rack in to that carboy my vacuum pump pulls out co2 plus i filter both directions, racking or bottling, every time i use my pump i am filtering and degassing both directions, i rack out of secondary, then clean that carboy, then rack back into that same carboy, so each racking and filtering degassing is doubled that way, and filtered and degassed even more come bottling time,,
dawg

KCCam.......................I am all about the "heat".............bring it on!................I will be starting a Dragon's Blood tomorrow, and any thoughts on how to heat that baby up will be entertained......................Dizzy
use K1V-1116 or EC-1118, run SSG up to 1.085 to 1.100, i double up my fruit or berries so no rocket fuel taste, but it zings that head,,,,
dawg

Dawg, How much sugar before you stir and degas? Are you saying you bottle immediately? Thanks...................Dizzy
no i let my skeeter pee sit for a month or 2, vacuum racking or stirring with a drill, my skeeter pee port is clear degassed and dry, then i add a fifth of 190 proof to a larger carboy and 1 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite, then i rack my skeeter pee port into the larger carboy, then i add sugar stirring with drill and adding more sugar till i reach a FSG=final specific gravity ) of 1.040 using my hydrometer, the only thing i ever weight is my fruits an/or berries,
Dawg

KCCam.......................I am all about the "heat".............bring it on!................I will be starting a Dragon's Blood tomorrow, and any thoughts on how to heat that baby up will be entertained......................Dizzy
The 1 batch I made, and the 2 I am almost ready to clear, I started at SG 1.110. They should ferment down to about 0.990 or lower, giving about 16% ABV. On my first batch I used 32 oz Real Lemon, 9 lbs triple berry, 1.5 lbs raisins, and 5 over-ripe frozen bananas with skin. I backsweetened with 1/2 cup per gallon.

The 1 batch I made, and the 2 I am almost ready to clear, I started at SG 1.110. They should ferment down to about 0.990 or lower, giving about 16% ABV. On my first batch I used 32 oz Real Lemon, 9 lbs triple berry, 1.5 lbs raisins, and 5 over-ripe frozen bananas with skin. I backsweetened with 1/2 cup per gallon.
that dog oughta hunt,,,
Dawg

golden or regular raisins?
Dawg

do you have a preference? I used golden because I figured they would add tannin and have less influence on the flavor and color. I’m shooting for a light colored wine though.
no i was hoping to learn from you, i use golden too.. every post i've read use golden, i'd like to know the pros and cons, i know the dark taste best to eat, but aside from that, i look and read wondering,
dawg

I got them from Costco (Canada) a year ago. I haven't seen them there since. I think they were Sultana, which I believe are "Golden". It might be interesting to try a batch with each. Maybe next time.
yes i chop or blend mine then put them in the freezer for awhile, and yes i try about anything i think about, but i never thought about trying 2 small batches, today i bottled 10 cases SPP, tomorrow DDDB, then i got several to get racked, filtered then put back for some a couple years, this fall i'll be putting some elderberry for 8 to 10 years, uh good Lord willing, i get them golden at ebay or amazon,
dawg

I just added mine to the "squeeze bag" straight from the package. But I like your idea. I've heard freezing fruit helps, and chopping them up I'm sure would too.
I mashed mine along with the fresh fruit I added to my mix. As long as you add it early enough the pectic will take care of the rest. Don’t make this too hard on yourself. 👍🏻

I just added mine to the "squeeze bag" straight from the package. But I like your idea. I've heard freezing fruit helps, and chopping them up I'm sure would too.
yes i use to just freeze them then this year i broke my 1880 press plate, so i went to busting them up, unlike most i never use a bag, i put my fruit or berries in my must, i have a Kraft stainless steel mayonnaise stirrer, it's a ton more work but just my belief that i get more flavor and everything else, when it is time to separate everything is like a mush, heck maybe i am just simple minded,, lol
Dawg

Go easy on the lemon juice before ferment. Add it on in the back end of ferment. Too much in the beginning may stall or prevent the fermentation. Many notes of this in many previous posts. Good luck!... btw I’ve been eyeing dawgs fortified sp for months. Can’t wait to make that knock your socks off type of drink. 🤘🏻
Hi Mike, looking back now I think that's where I went wrong with my SP. I was so excited to be finally making it that I added all three bottles of lime concentrate at the beginning instead of the two that the receipe called for. That explained why my attempts to restart were a total failure! But, as you probably have already read, I racked it into the secondary @ 1.022 and after it clears (if it does) I will add the high proof alcohol. The highest proof I could get here in the Newark area (Giant Eagle) was 140 proof. Can you get Dawg's 190 proof up in Mansfield? I am starting a DB today. As I write this I am boiling/sanitizing my mesh straining bags..........................Toodles, Dizzy

Hi Mike, looking back now I think that's where I went wrong with my SP. I was so excited to be finally making it that I added all three bottles of lime concentrate at the beginning instead of the two that the receipe called for. That explained why my attempts to restart were a total failure! But, as you probably have already read, I racked it into the secondary @ 1.022 and after it clears (if it does) I will add the high proof alcohol. The highest proof I could get here in the Newark area (Giant Eagle) was 140 proof. Can you get Dawg's 190 proof up in Mansfield? I am starting a DB today. As I write this I am boiling/sanitizing my mesh straining bags..........................Toodles, Dizzy
I believe I’ve seen 190 in Kroger’s and rite-aids near me.

Back