Skeeter is now my best seller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like to age it about 6 months, and it really smooths out, at a year it tastes like lemon candy, i started making mine this way because my aunt had terminal cancer, and she said it worked better then her meds for both pain and seeping, after she passed i just kept making it that way to sleep, I'm a insomniac,,, i got 5#-6's clearing now, and a couple cases from last winter, to me i like aging it,
Dawg

Wow, I've made a LOT of SP but never aged it and liked it the way it is. However, after reading your post I'm going to make 10 gallons and age it to give it a try.

How many of you other members are aging your SP and how long will it last aged before going the other way ?

I imagine that aging SP may make the wine even smoother but I find that mine is quite smooth when I bottle it. Certainly smooth enough to enjoy. I mean it ain't a Cabernet or a Malbec. It's a fun wine. Lemonade for adults.

yup @BernardSmith right, it's made to be a easy, quick maker,, that drinks easy, that being said, yes it keeps fine, I've never had any last longer than 3 years, because it gets drank, it gets set behind my recliner, my other wines are kept separate, but, with as much lemon as i use and alcohol with a year on it you can not tell it from old fashioned lemonade, i make around 25 to 30 gallons finished SP a year, to each their own, you could not pay me enough to have a Cabernet or Malbec, or most any other traditional wine, but i am fine with those that like wines described as,, chalky, earthy, leathery, oaky, that is fine with me,, others make an/or what they like, , i like my wines to taste as the fruits or berries just like they taste off the bush, tree or briar patch, seems to me, some look down on country wines, i have no problem with that, as i have said to each their own, all that matters is that you please yourself and not worry about what others like or don't like,
Dawg

Well my skeeter pee didn't start very well. I added 2/3 of the lemon at first. I thought to rescue it I would have to divide the 5 gallons, dilute to 10 gallons, add sugar and let it start again without adding more lemon. I did and it has been going well since then. I will need to add more lemon at some point. My question is when should I add it, and would it work to add pectinase to the lemon for a day before adding it to the carboys and then pour the lemon off of any sediment I get after the pectinase?

yup @BernardSmith right, it's made to be a easy, quick maker,, that drinks easy, that being said, yes it keeps fine, I've never had any last longer than 3 years, because it gets drank, it gets set behind my recliner, my other wines are kept separate, but, with as much lemon as i use and alcohol with a year on it you can not tell it from old fashioned lemonade, i make around 25 to 30 gallons finished SP a year, to each their own, you could not pay me enough to have a Cabernet or Malbec, or most any other traditional wine, but i am fine with those that like wines described as,, chalky, earthy, leathery, oaky, that is fine with me,, others make an/or what they like, , i like my wines to taste as the fruits or berries just like they taste off the bush, tree or briar patch, seems to me, some look down on country wines, i have no problem with that, as i have said to each their own, all that matters is that you please yourself and not worry about what others like or don't like,
Dawg

We're on the same page Dawg, I agree with everything you said. All I make is berry wines and the SP. However, I will not be making anymore berry wines in the future and just make the SP, that's how much my family , friends and me like it.

Like I mentioned in another post, I bottle at different SGs for different tastes and identify it on the label . The only thing that's a must for our consumption is that it has to be COLD, AND ON THE ROCKS.

Well my skeeter pee didn't start very well. I added 2/3 of the lemon at first. I thought to rescue it I would have to divide the 5 gallons, dilute to 10 gallons, add sugar and let it start again without adding more lemon. I did and it has been going well since then. I will need to add more lemon at some point. My question is when should I add it, and would it work to add pectinase to the lemon for a day before adding it to the carboys and then pour the lemon off of any sediment I get after the pectinase?
i start with 1 qt. and add the rest as soon as fermentation is done, just before racking into your secondary
Dawg

I usually add the rest of the lemon any time after the ferment is 2/3 done. Don't believe I have ever added pectic enzime to a batch of skeeter pee. It clears nicely with time or sparkaloid if in a hurry. Arne.

Hmm. It appears to be stalling again. Fermentation is still going but very slowly. One carboy had all but stopped. This morning I added yeast nutrient and energizer. SG is still up around 1.07-1.08. It has a long way to go!

he skeeter pee i make is 1 quart to six gallons water, adding yeast nutrient & yeast energizer, and sugar for alcohol ,, once ferment is over just before i rack from primary i and lemon juice till i have 1 qt lemon juice to 1 gallon water, then i rack and let clear, come bottle time i back sweeten to taste , then pour a fifth of 180 proof grain alcohol, into a 6.5 carboy, then rack my ready to bottle into that 6.5 carboy, then bottle, i use E-1118 YEAST step feeding sugar,, till the yeast dies out at 18 ABV, taste like lemonade but kicks like a mule, great for bed time
Dawg
What percent alcohol do you end up with? I have 11 1/2 gallons going now. It was a rough start, but they have been going well for a few days now. For this much I am wanting to fortify it and divide it into several batches that I would then add different juices to make a variety of flavors, such as tart cherry, raspberry, elderberry and maybe strawberry. I still need to add the rest of the lemon once the fermentation has slowed.

i step feed sugar and yeast nutrient & yeast energizer till it kills my EC-1118,, after ferment,, then i add the rest of my lemon, then rack in to secondary's to degas and clear,, at bottling time i add a fifth of PGA 180 proof, to a 6.5 carboy then rack 6 gallons of ready to bottle SP, some one on here posted saying i was running about 25% ABV, don't know, but it kicks butts and dose not care about names. yeah it's a ruff start , that's why i started fermenting using only 1 quart lemon per 6 gal water, then and only then do i add 5 more quarts of lemon after ferment is done,,, then as said rack into secondary, easy start that way, all i know is no one gets a sip till i explain just what happens after you drink it, i only drink it to sleep on, I'm insomniac ,, cough was insomniac lol,, EC-1118 says 20% ABV can be achieved, one on here says it can be pushed to 21% ABV, don't know, just know at a FG of 1.040 and a few months aging and you can't tell it from old time home made lemonade ,,, and it is super popular around here, but i keep it at around 30 gallons a year,
Dawg

@Ivywoods , on of the rest of the flavors you named i use either-or EC-1118,,,, K1V-1116 , both are work horses, i run all my wines up on ABV, but i double to triple my fruit, berry,, then at around 17-18 ABV, you will not know it is hot, i started a peach concentrate this week, i used 12 quarts from www.colomafrozen to 10 gallons of water, it's more expensive this way, but it is as smooth as a 4 ABV store bought wine, and tastes way better,
Dawg

Dawg-I think I will try this, only modify it a bit. I like the idea of more lemon per gallon, but I think one fifth of the 180 proof to my 11 gallons would be sufficient. I'm not sure yet. Once this has quit fermenting I will check it, taste it and go from there. I just like the idea of more flavor and kick per glass. I never drink more than one wine glass and it's always in the evening and usually not long before I go to bed.

i step feed sugar and yeast nutrient & yeast energizer till it kills my EC-1118,, after ferment,, then i add the rest of my lemon, then rack in to secondary's to degas and clear,, at bottling time i add a fifth of PGA 180 proof, to a 6.5 carboy then rack 6 gallons of ready to bottle SP, some one on here posted saying i was running about 25% ABV, don't know, but it kicks butts and dose not care about names. yeah it's a ruff start , that's why i started fermenting using only 1 quart lemon per 6 gal water, then and only then do i add 5 more quarts of lemon after ferment is done,,, then as said rack into secondary, easy start that way, all i know is no one gets a sip till i explain just what happens after you drink it, i only drink it to sleep on, I'm insomniac ,, cough was insomniac lol,, EC-1118 says 20% ABV can be achieved, one on here says it can be pushed to 21% ABV, don't know, just know at a FG of 1.040 and a few months aging and you can't tell it from old time home made lemonade ,,, and it is super popular around here, but i keep it at around 30 gallons a year,
Dawg
I am inspired to give this a try. :) How much sugar do you step-feed for a 6-gallon batch? The recipe I have is for 5 gallons. Thinking about doing a lemon and hibiscus tea version.

I am inspired to give this a try. :) How much sugar do you step-feed for a 6-gallon batch? The recipe I have is for 5 gallons.
i go by my hydrometer , i start with a SSG of 1.100, after it goes down to a SQ of 1.000 i keep bringing it up to SG 1.040 until it stays for 3 days in a row at SQ 1.040 at which time i add the other 5 bottles of lemon, then after clearing and degassing then i use a 6.5 carboy, or in your case clear in a 5 then come bottling time pour a fifth of PGA 180 PROOF into a 6 gallon carboy rack your skitter pee then bottle
Dawg

i go by my hydrometer , i start with a SSG of 1.100, after it goes down to a SQ of 1.000 i keep bringing it up to SG 1.040 until it stays for 3 days in a row at SQ 1.040 at which time i add the other 5 bottles of lemon, then after clearing and degassing then i use a 6.5 carboy, or in your case clear in a 5 then come bottling time pour a fifth of PGA 180 PROOF into a 6 gallon carboy rack your skitter pee then bottle
Dawg
Thanks!

I am inspired to give this a try. :) How much sugar do you step-feed for a 6-gallon batch? The recipe I have is for 5 gallons. Thinking about doing a lemon and hibiscus tea version.
i was going to do a hibiscus, my yard is covered in bulbing flowers, that bloom at different times, so i have color even now with jonquils i have many different types, iris, on and on, and roses, but across the gravel road at my parents mom has massive amounts of hibiscus on both sides of their front porch, she told me she'd kill me if i got just one flower, i did not bother to explain , it was half of them i wanted. so,, hehe one day I'll run across a old homeplace, it's just not going to be hers, funny when young she'd call us heathens, but that was the first time she ever said that to me,, lol,, now i heard her tell dad that 10 years ago when he mowed down one of her young rose bushes, lol , i enjoyed that day,,,, LMFAO
Dawg

Back