WineXpert Sitting on the sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darc

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a Vintners Reserve Sauvignon Blanc, it is the clearing phase. I forgot about the wine before clearing it for an extra 2 weeks so it sat on the sediment for a while. I stabilized it on 6-18. My local wine store lady sold me a pack of super smoother. It has liquid oak extract in half of it and Glycerin in the other half. She said add it before bottling. When I stabilized it smelled fine but should I add this stuff? Or do something else? Thanks for the help.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I think I would leave that one alone. Only 2 weeks extra is nothing to worry about and if you add these extras you will void your warranty. It was designed to be made a certain way and will be great as is. Of course if you like to take chances, it might be even better with the extras.

Ive never used that stuff myself but am curious to hear from others that have.

Glycerine is often used to add body and mouth feel to wine - even by commercial wineries. Oak extract has been around for more than 20 years. Personally, I would prefer, if I were to do something like that, to use the components separately to taste.

Back in my first foray into wine making in the early 80's I used liquid oak because toasted oak cubes/chips were not readily available. Today I would use the latter.

Darc, taste the wine. Do you feel it needs more oak? Add a little oak extract. Want more bosy? Add some glycerine. By the way, extra time on the lees is a good thing for a white. Do a search on "buttery chardonay" to see why.

Back