Quantcast

shrink caps

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
In the next day or so, I will be putting on the shrink caps for the top of the bottles. Do you prefer to use a bloe dryer or dip them in very hot water? Thanks John

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would buy a cheap heat gun from your local hardware store. A hair dryer might not be quiet hot enough. It will be worth the few bucks.

BobF

Banned
Reaction score
In the next day or so, I will be putting on the shrink caps for the top of the bottles. Do you prefer to use a bloe dryer or dip them in very hot water? Thanks John
I dunk mine in barely boiling water. Works fine, but make sure you don't put labels on first ;-)

ffemt128

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I use a heat gun, a quick 10-15 seconds is all it really takes to get them good and smooth. I usually hold the cap down with a little pressure from my filet knife to keep it from moving with the air.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score

bluecorporal

Reaction score
I would use boiling water. I tried this method with my first batch a month ago and it was quick and easy. Slip the cap on, hold in place with a plastic holding tool, and dip for a few seconds. Nice even shrinkage.

KSKOH

Reaction score
I use a heat gun purchased at a hobby store. Takes about 10 seconds per cap. Easy to use and cheap. The heat gun costs about $20 without a sale or discount.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I did not mention the Horizontal Thermoencapsular that Wade did because of cost but after a floor corker this is the best piece of equipment I bought. Its simple and literally takes one second to use. I showed it to a friend and he had me order one for him the next day. These are costly and George has the best price at about $179.00 but they are worth it if you make a decent amount of wine. Perfect time to start putting a bug in Santa's ear.:try

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
My first few I did the hot water thingy. After this I didn't label till after. Then I bought a heat gun for about $12.00 at a fabric store. This is so much easier and faster. I don't do enough to buy a horizontal capsulator.

A hair dryer most likely won't be hot enough and will blow your capsule across the room.

If you use the heat gun rotate the bottle and angle slightly down. After a few seconds I start at the top and rotate slowly as it shrinks. It takes only a few seconds.

Sometimes I get a few that don't go well. Don't think it was a user problem as several from that batch act the same while others are fine.

I have many colors I use depending upon the color bottle and wine.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My first few I did the hot water thingy. After this I didn't label till after. Then I bought a heat gun for about $12.00 at a fabric store. This is so much easier and faster. I don't do enough to buy a horizontal capsulator.
Oh yes you do!

ffemt128

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't do enough to buy a horizontal capsulator.

Based on what I've heard you do more than enough to justify the expense. Me with a 3 y/o and college tuition bills starting, I just plain cant afford it. Really I don't do enough to justify the cost and I don't shring all my bottles.

Only the contents of the bottles shring once they are opened.

Tom

Reaction score
I still enjoy dipping them in boiling water. YES I make alot... :dg :dg :dg

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
Today I tryed a few ways to put on the shrink caps. The hair dryer I thing isn't hot enuff, but the low boiling water worked great. Ill try to get my hands on a heat gun from one of my frienda and see how that works.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
John the heat gun is pretty slick I give it about 10 seconds to get good and hot then I shrink the caps. It takes maybe 10 seconds each and it does a nice job.

Folks I give wine to are impressed with the caps, label etc. It's like downtown.

BobF

Banned
Reaction score
John the heat gun is pretty slick I give it about 10 seconds to get good and hot then I shrink the caps. It takes maybe 10 seconds each and it does a nice job.

Folks I give wine to are impressed with the caps, label etc. It's like downtown.
It only takes 3-4 secs with boiling water ;-) BTW, mine are like Uptown!!

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It only takes 3-4 secs with boiling water ;-) BTW, mine are like Uptown!!
It only takes 1 sec with a Horizontal Thermoencapsular, BTW mine has been around town. ::

non-grapenut

Fruit Fears Me
Reaction score
I use an embossing heat gun bought on ebay for $12. I use the tip of my index finger to press the top foil to the cork when feeling squirelly or the tip of a pencil eraser as I turn the bottle. Apply heat from the neck of the bottle, holding the gun at a 45% angle toward the bottom of the bottle. Took me a couple of tries..now I'm a pro.

BobF

Banned
Reaction score
Im with Dan on this, go big or go home! Hehehehe
When you grow up, you realize it's about quality not quantity ;-)

Speaking of BIG. I wish my 6g carboys would ship. I've got a bunch of elderberries waiting for a place to ferment and age

Latest posts